Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Small "dog dish" wheel covers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Here is another pic I found, I do believe I see the small "Packard" in block letters in the black band around the hexagon.

Attach file:

jpg  (87.99 KB)
2116_4b8af4dabe4af.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/2/28 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
No wonder these years had some brake cooing problems, as reported by some car mags of the time - there is almost nothing in the way of ventilation holes, they are virtually solid steel wheels. At least the dog dishes would allow the wheel to cool a bit better, by not completely covering one side.

Posted on: 2010/2/28 18:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
There's an interesting little story behind the '56 dog dishes.

S-P introduced the Clipper for 1956 (and only for 1956) as a make rather than a model. iirc, dog dishes were standard equipment on low-level Deluxes.

When preparing the Clipper for production it was planned to give it an identity of it's own. So, beginning in 1955, the name "Packard" was slowly phased out from Clippers. In 1956, Clippers carried neither Packard scripts nor crests nor the new "V in a circle" logo. Clipper full wheel covers were redesigned, too, carrying the helm motiv (silver helm on black background) in the center and no "Packard" script or lettering.

But, as back then everything had to go in a rush, someone simply forgot retooling the dog dishes, too. When the mistake was remarked it was too late to correct it. So, S-P had no choice than to go ahead using the '55 dog dishes for '56 Clipper Deluxes, too.

These '55 dog dishes still head the red hexagon in the center and a carried a script proudly spelling "Packard-Clipper".

And this is the reason why the cheapest Clippers were the only that bore some factory Packard identification right from the beginning.

Later in the model run S-P began mounting a script "by Packard" on the right lower edge of the trunk as many dealers found it easier to sell a small Packard than an unknown Clipper make. That script was also available as a no-cost dealer retro-fit for already delivered cars.

Finally, S-P managed to dilute the Clipper corporate image right from the beginning. But that doesn't matter, anyway, as Clipper as a make was gone already for 1957. But that's another story...

Posted on: 2010/3/2 6:10
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Very interesting! Wonder what Nance thought of that little boo-boo, since he had been struggling mightily to separate Clipper from Packard in the public mind.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 10:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many will speculate that Packard was just 20 years late with the separation of the juniors from the seniors, it might have been better done in 1935.

I believe that was the same era when Chrysler separated the Imperial car line from the Chrysler line, also later reversed as I remember.

Posted on: 2010/3/2 10:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
One of the few "made-up" badge names that plugged along for years as its own brand, with lots of loyal followers, was the lowly Plymouth. Usually considered a step down from the old revered Dodge name, but for many a desirable distinction.

Ford made it happen with Mercury as well. Quite a distinctive difference and marketing niche. And the Lincoln was definitely distanced from the plebian Ford.

Pontiac could have been considered a "created" badge marketed by GM, although GM didn't create it. Did it ever exist as a corporate entity apart from Oakland and GM?

All this probably interested Nance for marketing purposes. It had worked well for other corporations who had kept distinctly branded autos to suite distinct markets. But I think he was dealing with a mindset that had been built up over the years, and was not going to be easily changed. Packard fans wanted their Clippers, but I think few outside the faithful were interested in a "new" line of cars that did not have a really new name and identity. And no way did Packard have the marketing clout at the time to introduce a new brand of car, as opposed to a new badge (like the Executive(.

Blah blah blah... I should just mention, on topic for a change, that there was quite a discussion with the proud owner of just these "dog dish" wheel covers AND trim rings, posted here or on the AACA boards awhile back. Might be worth a search.

Posted on: 2010/3/7 19:34
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Frank
See User information
I happen to have one in pretty good shape that I bought on Ebay about a year ago that was the wrong size. I was looking for the full hubcap not the wheel cover. If anyone is still interested let me know. I'd could either sell it or trade it or give it away to anyone who can track down a windshield for me that cost a couple of hundred or less. I have found windshields but they are at best $360 before shipping of around $130 (54 Clipper Deluxe) - tks Frank

Attach file:

jpg  (111.32 KB)
1341_4b944f2d2ac00.jpg 1024X682 px

jpg  (67.77 KB)
1341_4b944f3b0607b.jpg 1024X682 px

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

"Dog Dish" hubcaps on collector cars when shown these days always seem to have whitewall tires paired with them unless its a hi-performance car. Not in the old days! Base, plain jane models with dog dish hubcaps always had blackwall tires.

The oddest looking were middle priced cars such as the Clipper Deluxe, Buick Special & Super, Olds 88 & 98, Desoto Firedome, Chrysler Windsor & Newports, Hudson Hornets, Nash Ambassadors, when equipped with dog dishes and blackwalls.

I always ascribed a contradictory personality to the owners of those cars...wanting something better than the low-priced three... but not too much nicer and definitely not flashy.

Of trying to establish Clipper as a separate make: once a name is established as a model of a make of car, trying to use that model name on a separate make never works.

Chrysler tried for years to establish Imperial as a separate make, but ask any man on the street what make that car was and he'd reply 'Chrysler Imperial' So, it was for Clipper, long established as a Packard model in the public's mind.

Pontiac in '26, Plymouth in '28 and Mercury in '39 were created out of thin air to be a new makes, none of these names were ever a model within their respective companies beforehand. Apparently, no one in Packard marketing figured out to establish a new make name, it can't be one used on an existing model.

Though it named a hardtop, I think 'Constellation' would have made a better separate make name, one that might have been accepted.

Steve

Posted on: 2010/3/7 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
I am looking for four of theses in decent shape. They dont have to be mint. Dings and dents ok. Anybody?

Posted on: 2010/3/8 18:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
Randerson: are you the owner of the 56 delux pictured?

Posted on: 2010/3/10 22:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved