Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

kevinpackard, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

36 Packard Hood Hinge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Ok, now that the Packard is up and running time to take care of some on-going issues. The hood on our Packard is not actually attached to the car. The places at the front and back of the hood, at either end of the hinge, are not secured.

How should the hood be attached to the car? I can see how it should fit in but what secures it to the car? One Packard mechanic who took a looks said we need a new hinge. To me the hinge itself seems to work ok. ??

Unfortunately the ill fitting hood has caused a number of scratches and areas requiring touch up around the hood :(

Posted on: 2009/10/26 1:12
 Top  Print   

Re: 36 Packard Hood Hinge
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Bill,

There should be a front and a rear bracket that the curled around part of the hinge slides into. The brackets bolt to the cowl at the back and to the radiator shell at the front and are often deformed beyond easy repair. Reproductions are available from the San Diego region of PI. They also list them for sale on eBay at times.

Posted on: 2009/10/26 2:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Thanks for the reply...

I will post some pictures so you guys can see what our car has and let me know what I need to do....

Posted on: 2009/10/26 2:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
Here is one closeup of the rear of the hinge and the mounting pount. I see how the hood rests on the mounting point but I am still uncertain what secures it... ?

Attach file:

jpg  (73.20 KB)
1980_4aeb9d9d72b28.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/10/30 21:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
I really need to take a look at a mid 30's hood in person to see how it should be....

Posted on: 2009/10/30 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
On a '36 Super Eight the hood is attached by 3 bolts under the dash, towards the front of the cowl. A '38 mounts the same way, only a little wider. Looking at my '38 Super Eight hood, it looks like you can just loosen the bolts up, and slide it backwards. I have no idea if Juniors are the same, but I'm sure someone here does.

Posted on: 2009/10/30 22:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
My 38 JR has the same 3 bolts up under the dash

Posted on: 2009/10/31 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill_OBrien
See User information
OK.. time to figure out my hood issue. So do you fellas think I am missing the attachment that bolts to the cowl? Does anyone have a schematic or pictures of what I might be missing?

On mine it does seem there is a place for the end of the hood to slide into but nothing secures it in place... ???

Thanks for the help on this one!!!!

Posted on: 2010/3/19 4:04
-

( o\|||/o )

1936 Packard 120 4 Door Touring

Packard Registry Link
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Don't know about a 36 but my 38 jr those afore mentioned 3 bolts in the center section do the job but on my 41 110 the center slides under a part of the cowl and is secured only at the radiator end.

Posted on: 2010/3/19 5:52
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
There is nothing that mechanically Secures the hood hinge to the car. As you have photo'd, the hood hinge sits on top of the front and rear thingy's that bolt to the cowl/radiator surround. They are not drilled to be adjustable. As Brian said, the San Diego region of PI reproduces these to maybe improve your fit to the hood hinge itself (which wears at this point, surprise, and not replaceable!), but the sad fact is this is an underengineered design and you simply need to get used to carefully raising and lowering your hood. Look at any 35-37 junior non-trailer queen and you will see scratches along the rear edge of the hood and along the cowl. The only mechanical attachment of the hood to the car is by the rod pivoted by the hood handles...

Posted on: 2010/3/19 9:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved