Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 206

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 volt or 12 volt
Just popping in
Just popping in

rian911
See User information
Hi Alll
Wired question of the day did packard change to 12 volt systems when they came out with the new v-8's? I'm not real sure what my 1951 henney senior has as that i found both 6 and 12 volt as well as 110 coverter. I pretty sure the car was still 12volt but when they put the newer bigger butter v-8 in did they change things. Has anybody went to straight 12volt and changed all of the 6volt out. I've found a local place where i can have the whole cab/body dipped and all rust and paint gone its a 3 part process and the last one is a rust inhabitor.

Thanks Tony
1951 packard henney ambulance with packard v-8

Posted on: 2010/3/24 22:53
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 volt or 12 volt
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Wow - that's a lot to digest! I would think whoever changed it to a V8 would have used the 12 volt starter and generator and adapted everything else. That's a big job tearing everything out aand having the body dipped. The original 6-volt wiring harness should be able to handle whatever the 12 volt sytem throws at it. Check the bulbs in the dash, head and taillights. That should tell you if they changed everything over. Come back and keep us posted on your progress.

Posted on: 2010/3/24 23:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
The auto makers changed to 12 volts to get more oomph for starting the big high compression V8s, zappier ignition, and because of all the power accessories that were coming in.

12 volt systems were cheaper to make because they could use smaller wires,and smaller electric motors to do the same job. With power seats, power windows, power antenna, radio, electric pushbutton everything, plus all the wiring, it really added up.

Only the battery was more expensive.

They used 6 volts in the first place because back in the 20s it was cheaper. But back then all they had was a starter, ignition and a few light bulbs.

The whole industry changed over in 1955. Even the cheaper cars that didn't really need to, in the interests of uniformity and streamlining production.

The last holdout was VW, they didn't change to 12 volts until 1967.

Posted on: 2010/3/25 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
mack trucks held out with 6 volt systems untill the 60s as well.

Posted on: 2010/3/27 18:00
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

thebodyshop
See User information
want to know how to change 6v pos ground to 12v neg ground also need pulleys so i can add ac 1951 packard 200 flat head 8

Posted on: 2011/12/22 14:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
"The whole industry changed over in 1955. Even the cheaper cars that didn't really need to, in the interests of uniformity and streamlining production"

Not Ford and Chrysler.They still used 6 volt systems in 1955.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A bit of a project to switch.

All new bulbs, generator/regulator if keeping that arrangement or a new alternator setup, new solenoid but starter motor could probably stay. Most starters work OK on 12 although some have had failures because of the high torque slamming Bendix into ring gear so something to keep in mind. New 12v heater motor or a suitable dropping resistor. Gauges have a regulator which will work on 12v but swapping for the 54-5-6 regulator would eliminate any question long term. Clock and horns may be an issue but haven't heard if there are any from those who have swapped. A dropping resistor for the radio and for power antenna if equipped & overdrive components if equipped. With all that needs to change you might consider a voltage regulator which should work more than one item. You start getting into some large changes and aggravation keeping voltages separate with original loom though and you may need more than one regulator. voltage regulator

Keeping 6v and changing from pos to neg ground on that car is no big deal. Swap cables and repolarize generator or maybe get a 6v alternator. Unless something has been changed to solid state (some replacement radio components) nothing stock is polarity sensitive.

The AC pulley may be an issue. Packard had AC with that style engine in 53-54 only so their crank pulleys may be hard to find. I doubt there were that many AC cars sold but pulleys do pop up from time to time. V8 pulleys won't fit damper. Possibly an old aftermarket setup can be found but no repros are made for the S8 that I am aware of. You are on your own for any bracket. There are a few scattered photos of various solutions on site.

A previous poster mentioned a certain Ford vibration damper with interchangeable extra pulley setup will fit and work on the crankshaft. If you do a search here there should be some threads giving particulars. One issue with that may be if you have the wide belt. I don't know if Ford had any wide groove pulleys or if anyone has tried the modification.

If you are interested, instead of going to 12v some report the Sanden compressor will work on 6v and I know of 2 and possibly a third car doing so. Finding or modifying a blower motor to work with the typical aftermarket evaporator may take some work. It should be possible to adapt a universal 6v heater blower motor but again it's something that has been mentioned but unknown if any have tried. One of the Sanden compressor equipped cars is using factory evaporator and not sure on the others.

Posted on: 2011/12/22 16:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved