Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Cylinder head?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Maybe try some stop leak first. Determine if the water is getting into the engine. Maybe not.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Cylinder head is the standard cast iron according to the casting # reference in the shop manual. This has me wondering a few things though. In a blown gasket situation, would not the coolant pretty much have to flood the combustion chamber to exibit the condition I observe? If so, wouldn't it run poorly, ie skipping, sputtering, and a white plume out the back? It doesn't. Further, if the above were the case, would there not be coolant in the oil? There isn't. I am starting to think the head is cracked through the water jacket to the plug recess on #2. I will go out later and closely examine this area (with my glasses on) to see what I can find out.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
You are correct in your diagnosis. If you keep driving the leak will get worse and worse, exhibiting all the symptoms you name plus overheating, burning out the bearings and cracking the piston from hydraulic lock.

Right now it is not bad enough to show all the symptoms but it's not going to get better by itself. It will get worse and worse until the engine is ruined.

I suppose anything is possible but there is a 99.9% chance it is the head gasket.

That is why I suggested you fix it right away and don't drive it any more than you have to.

While the head is off you should have it checked for straightness by an auto machine shop and trued up if necessary.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
10mm or 14mm plugs? I believe it should be 10 mm and I'm wondering about a poor job drilling and retapping for 14mm plugs? The water jacket isn't all that close to the plug hole, but....

Posted on: 2010/1/20 9:07
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Well, just thought I'd update this with my findings. After much examination, experimentation, wondering, hoping and praying, the condition as first described initially cannot be replicated or repeated. I have done everything humanly possible and still, NO LEAK. I did not remove the head, add anything to the coolant, recite any poetry or wave the magic wand over anything. To sum it all up, it really did just fix itself, my wife thinks the car is haunted. I guess it will have to be another one of those things I "keep my eye on". Happy Driving!

Posted on: 2010/3/30 14:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
#2 cylinder? Coolant leaked out around the base of the water outlet, ran back and puddled in the plug hole. The gasket has now swollen shut again since you have driven the car. Highly unlikely the head has cracked around the plug, and a bad head gasket would never get the water up there. I'd be more worried about the bubbling around the edge of the head as a warning sign of future trouble.

On a related note, I have an old Champion sparkplug manual from the forties and they take great pains to explain why plugs should be carefully torqued. It seems that loose plugs permit a small amount of blowby which heats the body of the plug like a blowtorch. The plug should rather conduct its heat away to the head if properly tightened. If loose, this in effect drasticly changes the heat range of the plug and can lead to knocking and misfiring.

I will dig out their recommended specs for 10 and 14 mm plugs tomorrow and post. It was much tighter than I learned to do it as a farmboy on our old John Deere.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 22:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved