Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 133

Tobs, humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Idea for adjustable T-L
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I ALWAYS have good ideas Craig, you should already know this!

<p>
Except that your articulation of same is usually less than elegant. More confrontational than participatory. Just MHO.
</p>

Posted on: 2008/12/28 20:06
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Except that your articulation of same is usually less than elegant. More confrontational than participatory. Just MHO.

Not my fault you're to slow to keep up with me!

Posted on: 2008/12/28 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've been looking at the adjustable TL links. Why does the sleeve need to be threaded at all??? Or ANY threads cut whatsoever.

Why not just a sleeve with a 3/4 hole thru it and threads on the upper seat with an elastic stop nut for adjustement.

OR, a bit more difficult to adjust would be shorter sleeves in various lenths of 1/4" increasing length to act as stops or shims for the upper seat. NO therads needed in this second case.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 9:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The main reason for all the threads I could see would be strength. Without the sleeve threads, all would depend on maybe 5 or 6 holding in a single nut so surface area would be rather small. I think there would be a strong possibility that a sudden heavy load could pop them and locking might still be a problem even with a locknut. Two nuts might be a possibility but still iffy and you are starting to add height. Also, there might be a tendency to try and adjust without unloading the link and a few turns of the nut might be all it takes to damage it. Acme threads might be able to carry more stress but still surface area would be small.

The different length spacers and shims would be the better approach but as you mentioned, harder to change.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 10:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I've had these adjustable links on my 55 Pat for 6 years with ZERO problems.
Resized Image

The force (weight) must be lifted before they can be adjusted though.

Craig

Posted on: 2010/5/12 12:37
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
I've had these adjustable links on my 55 Pat for 6 years with ZERO problems.

Glad of the success and guess that's an answer to PV8.

Maybe I'm just too conservative when it comes to stuff like that. I've seen so many pieces of medical equipment that one would think is well engineered and supposedly takes a lot less abuse but still comes up with stripped bolts in places you can't imagine how it could happen. I tend to overcompensate if I can when replacing and now believe if it can break, it will.

Posted on: 2010/5/12 13:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Suggestions. Criticisms. ANY comments for using these to make ADJUSTABLE front TL links for 55/56's.

EDIT: Does the inset text of the pic show up clearly to everyone else????? Looks terrible on my computer.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.93 KB)
35_4fa28a01e122f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2012/5/3 8:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Yes your inset text is showing clearly.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/5/3 10:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'm just sticking my toe into the water......and remaining otherwise on the deck so to speak but Keith, with what you suggest possibly, do you have thoughts or ideas as to what or how that would secure itself to? My concern do be to the 'slop' or play in the chain link if loosened by forces? I will now go back to my beach chair and sit down.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 10:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Text is fine if the photo is viewed normal size.

I'd almost bet that piece was special made for whatever it came from and maybe not available separately. Reminds me of a chain end bolted to a kind of cross bar that was on an anti-sway, load equalizer fancy trailer hitch setup. Doesn't resemble any of the commercial coupling or structural sleeve nuts for sale ready made in that thread size.

Were you just looking at the coupling portion or planning to incorporate the chain part.

Posted on: 2012/5/3 11:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved