Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1939 Packard Sedan garaged/stored since 1963
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
My point exactly, and if the 38 is indeed a running/driving car, then a reasonable market price in my observation. 20K for a non-driving 6cyl sedan is overly optimistic in my opinion. Not to swerve far off topic, but How's the picklemobile?

Posted on: 2010/5/13 15:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Steve Mackinnon
See User information
Agree on a mid teens price for a serviced and running 110 sedan. Upper teens might represent a car with more recent and extensive work done to it, or a truly outstanding original. This car seems to have a lot going for it, clearly it is solid and even if in need of paint it is pretty presentable at least in the pix. A couple afternoons with compound and wax could make it really sharp. Another plus is it runs already. So wheel bearings, brakes, changing all fluids, full tune up and any other less than major overhaul type things could be well worth doing as you can elevate the car significantly for a couple thousand dollars more or less depending on what you are comfortable handling. Whatever you do with it in terms of servicing, you would be best to do less and do it well - in other words, if you by tires, try not to put cheap junk on there, people will automatically deduct that when negotiating and you really won't be ahead of the game.

I do not entirely agree with an earlier comment about supply and demand being low, there is always a market for good cars - solid, running, complete and either largely original or properly restored where needed. I would say this car is well worth a small investment and may be a bit easier to sell if you decide to put a little time and money in it up front.

Also, many owners of Sr. cars and people who know these cars in general will tell you that the 6 is really a pretty robust engine - if it runs well, that is another plus.

Good luck with it either way and keep us posted. This site, the Packard Club (PAC) and AACA sites are all great, free venues you may try as well. One last thought, you could drop a line to your the local AACA and PAC regions describing the car, you may find a buyer right in your area.

Posted on: 2010/5/13 17:15
Steve Mackinnon
1939 Packard 120 Sedan (sold)
1940 Packard 110 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Hey Flackmaster! Long time, no barter, you got a lighter for me yet? (need 3 but one will suffice) The Pickle is running like a champ, as usual. Had it out last week bombing around town in style, went fishing with the kids and everything. My wife was gonna take it the other night down town but it rained. I said go anyway, but the vacuum wipers freak her out a little. Sure do wish I had overdrive, 50, 55 is just plain dangerous around here on the highway. I had enough interest in the posted car above to speak with this gentleman, talk about the car, and learned the whole situation. I had advised this fellow to sell the car as is, rather than undertake some potentially expensive service and/or repairs, only to realize a profit delta of a maybe not even break even scenario. This coupled with the idea that the truly interested buyer will know what he's looking at, and will want to perform these things on his own terms. There is some damage to the grille shell, on top in front, and along the bottom corners, into the shutters on one side. However, it appears to be a very original, complete model 1282, with overdrive. And a radio. I guess maybe I like it because it's like my car, but have been realistic in my appraisal of 6 to 7K, based on what I see, just as it sits.

Posted on: 2010/5/14 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
At the $6-7,000, you would be safe, and have a helluva car to boot. As mentioned, at $15,000, she should be ready to take to the show without embarrassing you... possibly being rewarded with a first or second place trophy.

For $30,000, you'd definately need two more cylinders under the hood (and I'd be looking for a big eight for that money), and in show-ready condition.

Posted on: 2010/5/18 11:31
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Agreed, and you should buy it for that, and either have his/her cars, or sell your driver for a little bit more to someone who simply wants a car that is already sorted out (now that your knuckles have healed), and you may net a little bit of money to invest in the resurrection of a car with overdrive...

Posted on: 2010/5/18 11:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved