Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (161 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 223

jwblazek, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ceramic fuel filter replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Hi all! Just a heads up. I found a replacement on ebay for $13.55 with shippping. The seller is listed as: a.e.auto

Just thought someone out there would like to know! Thanks again,

Scott

Posted on: 2010/6/15 13:12
 Top  Print   

Re: Ceramic fuel filter replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Beware that there are 2wo different such filters. A long and a short. The 55-56 Packards use the short.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 15:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's the one labeled 30-87 fuel filter carter ceramic for 7.00 plus 6.40 shipping, believe it's the tall one and don't think it will fit the glass. Believe there is also about a 1/4 inch larger diameter element but approx correct height which won't fit either. Have seen that available (the shop that rebuilt my carbs sent one) in some places so watch out for it as well.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks HH56. I was not aware that there is also one of larger diameter too. These are important things to know. IIRC the longer unit (complete filter assembly) is too long for the V8's. I wonder if the larger diameter will retro fit without interference.

About 4our years ago i believe it was HH56 that came up with a paper element modification. That's what i'm currently using.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 15:56
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The larger diameter won't fit at the top. It is just wide enough that it won't clear the available spaces and drop down in the recesses to seal against the gasket.

If I can still find it, will take a comparison picture. Vaguely recall possibly throwing it away so maybe not. That's why I came up with first version of the paper replacement because I couldn't find another at the time and wasn't smart enough to think of a tractor place--even though I'm in the middle of farm country.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 16:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Referring to my earlier post on this subject: the ceramic fuel filter element I bought from the eBay vendor who lives in San Antonio fit my Carter filter housing. It is the short version.

I am also interested in the paper element adaption to these fuel filters that HH56 described in an old posting. Does someone have the link?

(o{I}o)

Edit: I found the instructions for adapting a paper element to the Carter fuel filter housing in the Literature and Manuals section under Tech Tips. Neat job HH56, thanks.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 17:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My original article is herehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/FuelFilterMod.pdf but someone came up with a way to do it and didn't use the emt conduit ring. Can't remember who or what he did though.

I didn't make another but did think of an easier way to make a ring. Use a length of .016 or .025 x 1/4" wide brass strip available at the hobby shop and solder in a circle.

The original filter I made is still in use and working fine after 3 yrs.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 17:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I followed HH56s' lead as he describes above. I did not make any kind of ring tho. I just cut the bottom of the plastic filter housing so that it would provide a bit of spring like force to keep the top of the filter against the top of the Carter housing. THEN cut a couple of arches on each side of the plastic to allow fuel to pass in.

Still works great.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=152&forum=3&post_id=900#forumpost900

See posts 17, 18 and 19 for pics. the pics are not real good but look close and u will see the arch cut in the plastic housing. Also read the entire thread. There is a part about placing an 88 ranger 2.0 4 cyl. filter in the line just in front of the carter filter. Run one or the other or both. Cheap. Ez. readily available at any parts store. Rocck 'n Roll.

EDIT: also see the pics at the end of Page 2 of the above thread.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 19:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved