Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My 1929 640 has no thermostat, is this correct???
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
Hello all, the top radiator hose on my 29 popped so i took it off to replace it and when i looked in the Thermostat housing i noticed there is no thermostat. given that i am new to cars made before 1950 should there be a thermostat or were they not in use at this early a time? if there is supposed to be one where can i find the correct one to install.

thanks, Dave

Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:22
 Top  Print   

Re: My 1929 640 has no thermostat, is this correct???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What you think is a thermostat housing is just a simple hose connection. You should have a thermostat in the top radiator tank that controls the radiator shutters. They control temperature by regulating the amount of airflow thru the radiator. Very common arrangement on older cars, and on Packard (some models) thru 1942. Often called a Pines Winterfront.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 15:40
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Dave, According to my 29 service manual the 640 has the same thermostat as a 626. It is known as the thermostat sylphon and is located in the housing above the head that the upper hose attaches to. The 640 as well as the 626 also has the shutter thermostat located on the front side of the radiator top inside the grill shell. If your car has a side mounted water pump, would you please provide the fanbelt numbers and mfg, usually stamped or printed on the flat outside of the fan belt.

Posted on: 2010/7/28 19:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
Owen, i know about the shutter thermostat and mine works fine thank god. what i am trying to find out is if there is a copper/brass thermostat for the engine like the ones used on cars today.

Jim, my water pump is on the front just above the crank pully. i looked and could not find any numbers.

thanks guys, Dave

Posted on: 2010/7/29 5:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I believe Packard recommend a thermostat in the cylinder head coolant outlet housing in addition to the shutter thermostat for cold weather operation. Que no?

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/29 9:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, if you read the 38 Eight shop manual as an example there is a discussion on the combined use of the shutter thermostat and a water outlet stat for winter use when equipped with a hot water heater.

But in the earlier years when the thermostats (shutter) were limited to 160 degrees because of the prevelant use of alcohol antifreeze, hot water heaters weren't very efficient in colder weather, thus the popularity of the hot air heat exchangers like the Kelch which had considerable popularity on the higher-end cars.

Along those lines you might find the attached article interesting (at least I hope so).

Attach file:

jpg  (166.50 KB)
177_4c51976daccc6.jpg 906X1280 px

jpg  (167.66 KB)
177_4c51977765f5b.jpg 935X1243 px

jpg  (142.52 KB)
177_4c51977f9b280.jpg 919X1280 px

jpg  (152.13 KB)
177_4c51978d8fe8c.jpg 924X1280 px

Posted on: 2010/7/29 9:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

DaveSmith
See User information
thanks guys, what i will do now is try to find out what thermostat i should get and where to get one.

Owen, thanks for the article. i printed it so i can start looking for one at the swap meets next year.

Dave

Posted on: 2010/7/29 14:05
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Hello Dave, Have located my parts book and the thermostat that goes in the head is composed of multiple parts including a valve head, seat bellows and other items which all attach between the upper water outlet casting and the cylinder head. From what I see in the parts book, the array of parts are rebuildable if you can locate a complete assy. I looked thru the residue of three 29 Packards yesterday and could not find one. Still hope to find one for myself.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 11:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
I have a hot air heater on my 26 Model T touring that has a register in the front and back floors. It is made in such a way as the design could be incorporated in most any vehicle and it is absolutely safe. Here is how it is made. It has a large diameter flex tube about 3+" that you fit over the exhaust pipe after removing the muffler to get it on. There are two alum. end pieces that split and fit around the exhaust pipe and the flex pipe, these are held together with 1/4" screws. Rear piece has a opening that corresponds to a pipe running down from the register. Front end piece comes apart the same way, has a hole corresponding to the top register and an additional forward aimed 45 degree pipe. A flex pipe is attached to that elbow and runs up to the front of the motor behind the fan where it has a funnel shaped end to catch air. System works great and cannot ingest exhaust fumes. It was made by the Kunkel Manufacturing Co. Hart MI.

Posted on: 2010/8/1 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Dave, why do you want to run two thermostats? This seems like an unnecessary complication unless your shutter thermostat is not functioning or you are going to be driving you Packard in cold weather.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/1 17:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved