Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 219

jgrohn, Jim in Boone, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 32 »

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, I'm no fan of chrome wheels on these cars thru 1936, makes them look "gaudy". With most color schemes the wheel color was the same as the pinstripe color.

And yes, there is something strange about the distributor, looks like some sort of adapter was made and perhaps an incorrect distributor modified and fitted, it appears to me to stand about 3 or 4 inches higher over the cylinder head than it should.

Posted on: 2010/8/6 15:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Looks a bit small for a mag. But maybe it is??? What was the last year Packard offered a hand crank????? Last year for the hole thru the radiator shell?????

Posted on: 2010/8/6 20:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Magneto? Maybe because there is no coil to be seen? Could be.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/8/6 22:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Good point about the ignition coil. I didn't think to look at the pics for a coil. It mite be mounted out of site. Maybe recessed in the firewall directly inline with ignition switch.
Owen or some of the other prewar experts mite elaborate.

I don't know if it's mag ignition or not. The "distributor" looks a bit too small to be a magneto. If there is evidence of facilities for a HAND engine crank then it is very likely to be a magneto. The 'adapter' sleeve between the head and the 'distributor' is somewhat similar to mag conversions. Altho sometimes on mag conversions of this vintage of automobile the mag wouild have been driven from the front timing chain cover some way.

If the car was used in remote or desolate areas where battery reliability/availability/cost mite be questionable then it is very likely to be a magneto, especialy during the prewar era. As well as a hand crank to start the engine.

Posted on: 2010/8/7 5:16
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
After having read thru this thread and seen the pictures below, I have a question. Is it possible for a car to have a theft proof number, tag vin number, frame stamped serial number and steering gear stamped serial number (1929 6th series)all different with the firewall tag number being the title vin number? Should the frame serial number be the same as the firewall tag number?

Posted on: 2010/8/8 13:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No. For 6th, 7th and 8th series the vehicle number should match the motor number and I'm not aware of any correlation to frame or steering gear numbers.

Posted on: 2010/8/8 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Where is the engine number on a 6th series? I have looked all over the alum. block on the oil filler side and see no numbers.

Posted on: 2010/8/9 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If memory serves, I believe 6th series is on the left (driver) side, on the front engine casting arm which is intergral with the motor mount, towards the outboard end. It should be quite apparent.

626/633: 233,017 to 276,166
640/645: 167,001 to 178,879

Posted on: 2010/8/9 17:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jim Eubanks
See User information
Checked and do not see it. It is possible it might be under the fender....

Posted on: 2010/8/9 19:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the data, Gusha. This is one of the fairly uncommon cases in my database where I have data on vehicles of the same chassis and body style with consecutive vehicle numbers. #613-32 was at the Gettysburg National this year, a lovely fresh restoration, it's BDN was <173603>. Earlier VN with a somewhat later BDN not uncommon.

PS - also interesting to see how nice and crisp the embossed numbers are on the earlier cars compared especially those from the mid-50s where they are often difficult to discern. By then it is often difficult to tell the difference between an "0" and a "D".

Posted on: 2010/8/28 8:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved