Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Headlamp adjusters 1948 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Having trouble adjusting my headlights on my 1948 Packard 22nd Series Six Export Touring Sedan.

Being RHD maybe at some time in the past they were changed or are all the headlamp bowls and adjusting screws the same ?

Have searched the site and have come up with ZERO !! Any help gratefully received.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/9/17 10:51
 Top  Print   

Re: Headlamp adjusters 1948 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Mike,
Take a look in the general forum under headlamp aiming point. I don't know if it's what you want for your car or not
Terry

Posted on: 2010/9/17 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't see a separate listing in the RHD and special vehicle section of 47 manual for RHD headlight assy's--just the dimmer switch-- and doubt the 48's would have anything different either. All the postwar lamp assys seem to be virtually the same as far as mechanical construction and adjustment. Have a look at this forum and see if it is any help.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=58804

Posted on: 2010/9/17 15:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks - Been there and the illustration helps but does actually seem to be different to my setup on my car - car's remote to me at restorer's place but next trip to see the old girl I'll take a copy of the illustration and compare things properly - maybe some photos too.

Thanks to all - Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/9/19 4:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the 22nd series headlight for US. The difference I see from the later one appears to be springs are slightly different and on opposite side but the adjustment method is the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.34 KB)
209_4c9622a198214.jpg 962X447 px

Posted on: 2010/9/19 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
More thanks.

The main difference I see is that Pt.4.1303 seems to be used on later cars as the headlamp rim/door/finishing trim whereas on my car this is NOT there at all, leaving 4.1311 as the external trim to the headlight.

Sure the illustration is correct for both LHD and RHD cars - as I can't see why they should be any different (?)

I'll report again when I've had a chance to see my car again.

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/9/19 13:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
4.1303 has to be there in this design and it even shows on those from years earlier. It is what keeps the lamp fastened to the adjusting bucket. That way the bucket and lamp is moveable as an assembly via the adjusting screws. Without it, in this design there is no pressure provided by the external trim ring alone and the lamp would float around. If they do use the same setup on RHD cars, I can see why you would be having trouble adjusting if missing.

If it is not used on yours, would be very interested in some pictures for curiosity sake next time you see the car. It would be something different vs what we use here. Wonder if something was fitted on by importers for a different style UK light or maybe other countries had their own requirements which is why nothing shows for export models.

Posted on: 2010/9/19 13:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Hi Still not got to see the car yet but the Restorer Gerard says we do have all the parts but the adjuster screw pts.# 4.1300 - 4.13002 - 4.13003 are either missing or buggered.

Anyone any ideas on another good pair ? - nothing under Packard headlamps on Ebay yesterday !!

Regards Michael

Posted on: 2010/9/24 7:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Try Restoration Specialties---814-467-9842

Posted on: 2010/9/24 8:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Only saw one screw in 2009 issue of Restoration Specialties Cataloghttp://www.restorationspecialties.com/ and since it lists specifically for a 65 Corvair, don't know if thread or length is right. Max Merritthttp://www.maxmerrittauto.com/ lists both pieces as available if you want to go that route but if both items needed, at $10 per location, a bit expensive.

The Packard one is identical shape to the Corvair but 1 1/2 inches long overall, threaded length of 1 1/4, & the thread is standard US-fine machine thread of 1/4-28. Slotted for flat blade rather than Phillips. Problem is the cage nut 4.13003 since yours is also an issue. There does not seem to be one available for that size thread in Rest Spec or in a large industrial supply listing so it must have been special to the bucket or just not commonly used anymore.

You may luck out with the Corvair screw, but if not, and don't want to buy NOS, should be fairly easy to have a machinist make something on a lathe and adapt to a metric or common US 1/4-20 setup.

Attach file:

jpg  (8.08 KB)
209_4c9cb68444e89.jpg 213X211 px

jpg  (32.04 KB)
209_4c9cb68c8aba2.jpg 720X715 px

Posted on: 2010/9/24 9:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved