Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 19 »

Re: ANOTHER #%*!:( BTV failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
JP, what does the steel liner(sleeve) accomplish? The T-V has no rubber cup and so is not required to have a complete smooth surface. Perhaps they sleeved the vacuum cylinder which many times has rust and corrosion??

Posted on: 2010/10/13 7:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUote:
"...for what it's worth that Karps did fit a stainless steel liner into my treadlevac -..."

Yes, very well worth mentioning because, without detailed analasys, this is a major source of confusion relative to the BTV MASTER CYLINDER only.

THe BTV SUPPOSEDLY is "sleeved" or "liner installed" by rebuilders only at the seal bore in the very back of the master clylinder.

Conventional master cylinders have the full length of the piston bore lined.

NOTE: that the internal workings of the BTV is unorthodox compared to nearly all other master cylinders ever produced in the last 60 to 70 years.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 7:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See post #74 on page 8 of this thread regarding BTV sleeving and some of the posts prior to and after post #74 by Eric.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 10:39
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
JP -

You can add your location (with as much or as little detail as you want, in your Account Profile, and it will appear automatically with every post.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 10:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I have long maintained that, because of the ram method of fluid displacement, the BTV did not require sleeving - at least not like other conventional master cylinder (single or tandem).

However, I see that I have to modify that position WRT to the fixed rubber cup seal.

The 55-56 shop manual clearly advises:

Quote:
Examine the hydraulic cylinder bore 1" from the open end. The surface must be free from scores, deep scratches, or corrosion, and be satisfactory for sealing with rubber hydraulic seal.

I can see where scores or porosity issues in this location would cause leakage into the vacuum shell and, thus, require sleeving. However, none of the units that I've personally rebuilt with my own tow hands have needed it.

Meanwhile, IIRC, the high-mounted BTV's in tri-five Chevies had, essentially, the same innards as the units on our Packards. Of course, the cover was redesigned to accommodate the horizontal, rather than angled, orientation.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Lets consider a sleeve for the fixed rubber seal at the back of the BTV master cylender:

I've not done the math on it but if ANY edge or portion of an installed sleeve is subject to the tremendous pressure that any master cylinder can produce then it is certainly feasible that the pressure could push the sleeve OUT or dislocate it. No???

If the fixed rear rubber seal entirely covers the sleeve and no edge of the sleeve is exposed to pressure then it would stay in place.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"...IIRC, the high-mounted BTV's in tri-five Chevies had, essentially, the same innards as the units on our Packards."

The chevies used a 3 or 4:1 pedal ratio which means that the ram or piston would have been some 1" or larger compared to the 5/8" in the Packard with 1:1 pedal ratio.

IF the Chevy high mounted BTV was 1" RAM or larger then how did they seal it at the back of the MC???? It would have required a very large seal bore for a much larger seal.

It could not have been a 1" or larger ram type piston because the back of the MC is not large enuf to allow for such a larger fixed rubber seal.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
We know there were at least two types of BTV--the poppet valve type we use and the hydraulic reaction type that Chev apparently used. If anyone knows Ed Strain or any of the other BTV rebuilders, wouldn't it be simpler to call and ask if there is any other internal differences in BTV units -- size wise, cup wise or any other wise rather than endless guessing.

IIRC, the rubber seal on the ram is backed up by a fiber and steel washer held with a snap ring in back, and of course, the ram and bore on the sides. I don't think it could be dislocated in the conventional sense--leaked past, yes.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Perhaps, then, I am confusing this with some other horizontal application of the BTV. Yet, I'm certain it had the same basic casting for the hydraulic section as the units in our Packards, but with a sloped cover.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. The snap ring would hold the sleeve in place. Good point.

As for the Chevy high mounted BTV vs the Packard toe board mounted BTV:

"...at least two types of BTV--the poppet valve type we (Packard) use and the hydraulic reaction type that Chev apparently used..."

--*-- Yes i agree to the extent that the chevy BTV is significantly different enuf from the Packard BTV so as to cease argument over any similiarites relative to any failure analysis or any other comparison of two different BTV's.

--*-- At this point I believe and any reasonable person can believe that the BTV as OFFERED ON PACKARD (no other makes) is significantly different from all other BTV applications.
Apparently so different in some way and the unusual failure rate of PACKARD BTV application that the Packard application of the BTV is inferior beyond any redesign, rebuilding or any other remedial endeavours by any mortal entity.

Posted on: 2010/10/13 12:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved