Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
262 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 260

Gary Kulp, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Dipping in Chemicals to remove paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Just out of interest, I got a quote to have body of car dipped to remove paint. Here in England, quote was (converted in US Dollars )
$1,518 plus vat. How does this price compare to American prices? Has any members done it this way to save time?

Posted on: 2010/11/10 8:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Dipping in Chemicals to remove paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's not clear to me what "plus vat" means. Does that mean u have to buy a vat big enuf to dip the car body into???? That is probably at least another $1500 US rite there.

I don't know. My time is probably only worth about 6 pence an houre anymore. At $1500 it would be slower but much cheaper just to get $80 worth of good quality paint stripper and do it my self.

Mite be cheaper to ship the body to China or India and let them do it over there for $10/day and a bag of rice.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 9:00
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
The vat means ( Value added Tax )

There good stuff you can paint on your self?

Is was only an idea.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good old value added tax--something our politicians have mentioned from time to time as something the US should try to fill the coffers. One of the reasons European goods are somewhat more expensive than the same item here.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The difference between a VAT and US "sales tax" is not so big.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 10:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't a sales tax essentially a one time thing 4-8% depending on state whereas a vat of 3-4% is every time a product changes hands.

I remember an article a few years ago comparing some appliances here vs there. Apparently European tastes are a bit different. Lower quality items are frowned upon & doesn't sell well because they keep them much longer so initial cost is reflective of that, but also said an average of 12-15% of the overall cost was due to vat

Posted on: 2010/11/10 10:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
It sounds much cheaper in England than in the USA. I live in California and the "green" radicals have essentially driven away all such activity to other states and countries. By the time you pay VAT and shipping both ways you will probably double the price.

Dipping the car is what the professional restoration shops do. The stripping is complete and the labor cost is small.

The only problem with dipping is trapping the fluid inside tubes and other nearly sealed up cavities. A body should be no problem.

Posted on: 2010/11/10 10:59
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
HH56,
4 to 8% would be nice. Its cuurrently at 17.5% and rising to 20% in the new year with our new coalition government. This is paid on every purchase for most goods with some exemptions.
Terry

Posted on: 2010/11/10 12:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
WOW! So do I understand vat correctly that if a mfg sells a product to a wholesaler on Jan 2, there is 20% due on the cost and then when the wholesaler sells to retailer another 20% on his cost and then again when the retailer sells to customer?

Posted on: 2010/11/10 12:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
In Germany sales tax is 20% or something like that, except basic foods and beer which is 7%. Yes, beer is considered a basic food here in bavaria!
One good thing is, on used cars there is no tax. Just the first time the car is sold!
I'm pretty certain tax is only collected once on any transaction that goes through multiple hands. (i.e. mechanic buys parts and fixes customer's car with them, tax is only paid once)

Posted on: 2010/11/10 13:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved