Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Re: BTV rebuild kit concerns check your compensator vale
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I was only doing a little exploring, Fred, actually trying to do what you suggested, and hysteria? Excuse me for posting. I'm just real glad I don't work for you.
That's it - I'm through.

Posted on: 2010/11/21 23:13
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
x2

Posted on: 2010/11/21 23:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Jim L. Do not let anyone chase u off. THAT IS EXACTLY the ploy of certain individuals.
THis BTV issue (with many many diatribes) has gone on for at least 12 years that i know of. And occurs quite frequently thru out the 12 years.

Inspite of any slightly less than civil or unwelcome remarks the BTV Topic has generated a great deal of interest and sucessful study of the problem. AS WELL as an interim solution (conversions).

To answer your question SPECIFICALLY about the rubber deformation of the compensator valve just look at the cut away views in the manual or those posted here on this forum (usually by HH56). U will see that when the valve is tipped back to the open position that it is drawn to a position where absolutely no part of the rubber touches anything except brake fluid.

I have a study unit here in my shop. My tests concur with the schematics of the manuals.

Posted on: 2010/11/21 23:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Jim L

I was quuite interested in what you posted and replied in what I thoiught was a respectful and helpful manner. If you took offense, I apologize. As for working forme, I think the length of service of many of my employees speaks for itself.. Several 30 years +, many 20 years +, 60 in all with little turnover.

I'm new on this forum, but if I had been watching the discussion go on for 12 years I'd conclude that something had been overlooked. Heck, the atomic bomb was developed in less time.

As a graduate but not licensed engineer and a scientist I will take a fresh look at the subject.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/21 23:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
To Jim L.

Aha!! Now I see why you wouldn't want to work for me. Even in a Packard with chair high seats and torsion level, the commute from the Pacific Northwest to NJ would be a killer.

The hysteria remark was certainly not directed to you, it ws directed to those who feel that abandoning the BTV is the only right thing to do.

Fred Kanter
Kanter Auto Products
Boonton NJ

Posted on: 2010/11/22 10:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Those of us taking the time to discuss the BTV are not wanting to abandon it permanantly. Until the problem(s) of the BTV are solved we are using transplant units from more modern vehicles. TWELVE YEARS Fred Kanter. TWELVE YEARS the BTV debate/analysis has raged on.!!!!! Where have YOU been up until just the recent few WEEKS????

Posted on: 2010/11/22 11:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It will be interesting to see the results of the poll. I am still wondering why it seems to be mostly the V8 models though. Am not totally buying the argument that they are driven more than the earlier ones but they do seem to get more of the complaints.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 11:27
Howard

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Fred Kanter wrote: Quote:
The hysteria remark was certainly not directed to you, it ws directed to those who feel that abandoning the BTV is the only right thing to do.

(snipped together) As a graduate but not licensed engineer and a scientist I will take a fresh look at the subject.

Also as a graduate engineer, I take exception to being categorized as hysterical as one of "those who feel that abandoning the BTV is the only right thing to do."

As Albert Einstein said, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." I gave up after four BTV repairs by four different professional vendors (see my response to the "Kanter Disc Brake Conversion" thread). Then I actually did something different (installing a modern dual MC booster system) and I got a different result. My conversion has not so much as hiccuped in over eight years. Rather than my one data point, there are now several conversions extant that also have not failed in many years.

More importantly, let's say that you are able to 1) determine why the BTV fails (I think there is more than one reason) and 2) develop a repair kit which addresses these deficiencies. How in the world are you going to convince anyone that this is a 100% reliable fix? What sort of testing could you possibly do that would be thorough and lengthy enough that would PROVE it? My experience is that the failures occur about 1 year after repair. That's a pretty lengthy and expensive test period, particularly if many, many Packards are involved.

Or instead would you hang the reputation of Kanter Auto Products on it?

Craig

Posted on: 2010/11/22 11:36
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Amen Craig!!! Amen.

Posted on: 2010/11/22 14:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Craig,

There are those like you who write a cogent letter that is well though out, and then there are......

As a graduate engineer trained in the scientific method, you as well as I know you can't prove something will not happen. If someone puts motor oil in a BTV, a single manual cylinder or a dual like in your car it will fail. A mechanoic did that to my father's '55 BTV equipped Lincoln in '57 and it was an exciting downhill ride.

One thing to figure out is why these sudden failures seem to be recent, say in the last 10 years and a yer after the rebuild Seems that something degrades. As an engineer you know that pretty much anything mechanical can be explained.

I like challenges, I like studying things and figuring them out. I don;t quite know what you mean to hang the reputation of KAP on it, but I do know I'll give it my best unprejudiced shot.

Fred

Posted on: 2010/11/22 15:47

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved