Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 200

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Thanks Kev, so english charger on american battery is fine. so pleased about that.
Charger will be easy to get i see
http://www.autogeek.net/battery-tender-plus.html

Hemmings interesting article about batteries

http://www.hemmings.com/hmn/stories/2006/07/01/hmn_feature34.html

and this one for Optima 6 volt battery

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Optima-6-Volt-Battery,7163.html

Posted on: 2010/11/30 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Thanks Howard. Did not expect it to be that shape, interesting. Like this one Howard?
http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/batteries/other/G2EW.html

It makes sence to me to get new parts before shipping, Save so much money on shipping. The car i am hoping to get is a 1948 super eight convertible.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is one but read thru this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4505&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 and get a feel for the differences. The size and capacity are the big ones. You want as big a CCA as you can get but it has to fit in the holder. After you are familiar, then do a google search for group 3EH and 4EH batteries. It may even be available in UK as it was used in golf carts and tractors. That one you show is one we have referred to as a boutique battery in various threads. While it does the job, several of us have not had as long a life with those as with others.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Hey Kev,

If I remember right from your blog, you put a 55/56 battery tray & etc in your '54. What number Sears Die-Hard are you running? From the picture you posted in this thread, it looks real good to me. Plus, I've had very good luck with Die-Hards in the Past.

Thanks,

Jim

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:28
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
I take your point. Plus there much cheaper than the boutique battery.

http://www.staabbattery.com/product/320.html

Posted on: 2010/11/30 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
The 3EH Battery has a width of 4 3/8 inches
But the 4EH is 5". Will the 5 " fit?
Also has CCA 930 compared to 850 CCA for the 3EH

Is the original battery size much different? Apart from the height which was talked about before. And refixing the hold down strap. Is there any pictures if that?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 20:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Gary, I use the 4EH size in my 47. The battery top hold down is a very tight fit but the CCA is larger and thats important to me. These batteries are used in tractors and road paving machines and are readily available. I have a friend who buys the correct look boutique batteries and he is lucky to get 3 years of use from them. The previous 4EH I bought lasted 8 years.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary Marshall
See User information
Dave, did you have to change the hold down strap?

I think i will go for 4EH,

Posted on: 2010/11/30 21:01
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

I am using the stock '54 Clipper battery tray. The retainer was missing when I got the car, so I sourced a repro one from the local So-Cal PI chapter.

I will have to look at the sticker that is facing the fender next time I am under hood. Something makes me want say it's a group 24, but dont hold me to that as I looked at about 50 batteries that day. The problem is not so much the tray, it's the retainer. So take your retainer to the store with you and test fit. The main problem is that most batteries these days have extra plastic on the side at the top where the handle snaps in. This prevents the retainer from going over. So I finally found this plain jane Die-Hard battery that was a perfect fit, and it didn't a handle. Also the other big pain in the butt was finding the terminals in the correct orientation.

Unless they changed manufacturers, Die-Hards used to by made by the same parent company that makes Optima batteries (Johnson Controls). Not the same cell technology, but the same manufacturer.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 21:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Just did a quick web check. Johnson Controls is the manufacturer for the following battery brands:

Autocraft
Kirkland Signature (Costco Brand)
OPTIMA
DieHard (Sears & Kmart)
Mazda (OEM Equipment)
EverStart
TrueStart
Honda (OEM Equipment)
Acura (OEM Equipment)
Mitsubishi (OEM Equipment)
Alliance
Duralast (Autozone)
Energizer

Posted on: 2010/11/30 21:49
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved