Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 178

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Preliminary modern booster info question.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Have started documenting my little project and thought before wasting a lot of time on the rest, would ask about quality of info.

For those curious, here is what I consider the worst pieces --at least the most time consuming and detailed items to make. May be too involved for the average home shop and already a waste of time.

For those not scared off, would appreciate if you would have a look as to info adequate if someone should actually want to try one or maybe too much making the paper busy and hard to read. There will be 4-5 pages of info and photos and am trying to keep one page per major assy

Any glaring mistakes or something that should be changed. I already see the method given for setting the angle is not reliable.

Comments, suggestions please.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 105.51 KB; Hits: 39

Posted on: 2011/3/14 18:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Preliminary modern booster info question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

That setup is robust enough for a tank! It might even survive a roadside IED.

I think it could definitely be thinned down alot in practical use unless there are no clearance issues. In that case, keep the sizes you have drawn up as it will NEVER fail for lack of strength.

However, I do not see any bearings other than simple sleeves. What are your thoughts on that aspect?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:14
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, unfortunately I'm too busy at the moment to comment in detail. It looks Packardlike: solid, clear design, no gimmickry.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:33
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Always have tended to go for the overkill. No flex or bending wanted and also wanted some thickness for the threads.

The joint between the long lever and the second or pedal lever will have a no lube required heim bearing as will the pedal end.

Really kicked the sleeves vs bearing around on the other. The 3/4 bearings I can find so far are too big and wide OD on the shaft end for the space in the side brackets. Miniature flange mount bearing would fit but largest shaft for them is only 3/8. Probably my overkill, but not sure I would trust a smaller shaft than 1/2 and maybe not that.

The small levers could have one but to do so means moving the upper pivot point in toward center of lever 1/4" which makes the levers kick out more into the passenger compt at rest. Was trying to keep all that to absolute minimum.

The first design used heim joints bolted to the shaft and may be the way to go. They are rounded and don't take quite as much space in the interior. I think there should be flats milled in the shaft to locate the joints though & did that on the first but might be an issue for anyone without a milling machine. One of the reasons for going to the welded set. What do you think?

The sleeves are supposed to be oil retaining but if it looks to be an issue, will rethink them.

Posted on: 2011/3/14 19:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved