Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

glove box removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The glove box in my 51 200 is very difficult to open. I suspect that some of the bearings are worn/jammed. Any hints as to how I can remove the glovebox and mechanism so that I can clean it up and adjust it?

Posted on: 2011/3/28 11:13
 Top  Print   

Re: glove box removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Man, I just took mine out, but it was half out anyway so I can't remember too well. I think I had to open it and crawl under the dash to remove the screws on the track that are attached to the dash. If no one replys, after I get home from work, I'll take another look w/ some pics.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 11:48
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There are four screws (2 on each side) that hold the track to the dash. Those need to be removed, and the glovebox will come out with the track attached. Do not try to separate the two halves of the track. TRUST ME on this. Ball bearings everywhere.

The screws are up under the dash, and can be a pain to get to if you have big hands.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 12:02
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you choose to avoid going under the dash, there is a very good spray product from lubriplate that may work. We had a similar situation on some equipment and it was a factory approved procedure to eliminate disassembly of the item.

Anyway, if you want to try easy first, then pull the drawer out and spray lubriplate or something similar in the exposed track edges or creases and push drawer back in. Use the nozzle tube covered with a rag so it doesn't go all over. I think anything thin would run off and not coat well but the lubriplate is a slightly thinner version of the grease. Do this spray and drawer sliding several times and the grease will work it's way back the entire track length and may free things up surprisingly well. I'd be surprised if you take it apart and find any damaged items -- probably just dirty and covered in dirt and lint with the smattering of rust.

If that doesn't work, then there is always the original plan with nothing but a little time lost.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 12:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks guys. I'll try plan B first, then go to A if that doesn't work.

Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
If you need to do plan A, here are some pics. First shows the holes on the rail where the screws would be. If you remove the screws and can't get it out, chances are it is hanging on the door stop on the bottom of the drawer. Push the sliders back in and tilt the drawer down and it should come out. Pic 2 shows the drawer stop (sorry that my rare colored striped interior gives an optical illusion on the bottom of the drawer). Pic 3 are an example of the mounting holes in the dash.

Attach file:

jpg  (83.85 KB)
508_4d912b5ac3c94.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (53.05 KB)
508_4d912b67a7b63.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (69.59 KB)
508_4d912b777dbef.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/3/28 19:45
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Michal
See User information
Can I piggy-back on this thread and ask if anyone has any leads on replacement glovebox liners for a 22 Series? I've looked around a bit and can't seem to find anything. Any repros or used out there? I open my glovebox and get a nice view straight back to the firewall...

Thanks,

Posted on: 2011/3/29 17:31
Michal

Proud owner of a '48 2272 but I really wanted a club sedan?
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If Kanter or Ron Carpenter can't help or good used can't be found from one of the posters here, then it may be a do it yourself thing. I was looking at doing a 47 and a custom size 56 box. It is one sheet of approx .070 - .080 thick cardboard. Cut, folded and stapled with flock on the inside. Yours is probably of similar construction but different part number so probably slightly different shape. Any number of things could be subbed for the staples as they are mostly hidden. A side, bottom or overall pattern doesn't seem too hard and once made & transferred, then folding shouldn't be too bad. Sharp creases may need some help but doable.

The issue is the cardboard thickness. Was thinking the art supply stores have some fairly thick matboard or similar material but if that is still too thin or small, then if you have a retail upholstery place or know an upholster who will order cardboard panel board or cowl board that is probably about right thickness. Restoration specialties has the board at $22 but the shipping is horrible for that size piece--about 3 times the price of the board. Here's a couple of photos of the 47 box. I will look into this a bit more and let you know if I find something locally. You probably have more options than I do.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.63 KB)
209_4d926f50bd500.jpg 640X343 px

jpg  (35.71 KB)
209_4d926f5808230.jpg 585X640 px

Posted on: 2011/3/29 18:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Just a personal comment here. I really liked the glove box in our 52 Mayfair and wish Packard would have kept that style, but moved it to the center of the dash. I thought of getting one and mounting it below the dash in the 400. Still thinking about it...

Posted on: 2011/3/29 20:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Those drawers are nice. Don't know if any others did them or not but can you imagine the cost savings when they went from a quality metal drawer assembly with ball bearing slides to a piece of cardboard. Of course, I guess the anodized gold overlay and padded dash probably took care of the savings. If you wanted to be really high class, you could figure how to adapt your glove box door to a custom sized slide out box and pull that out instead of hanging it under.

Posted on: 2011/3/29 20:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved