Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 203

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1955 overdrive clash of gears
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
My 55 Clipper grinds gears in 1st and reverse. 2nd and 3rd appear ok. Sometimes, I can force it into gear other times the gears appear to be turning to fast. I don't believe the gears should be turning if you are going into gear with the clutch pedal pushed down. My thinking is that the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Yet, if I place the car in 1st or reverse and depress the clutch it does not creep ahead and appears that the trans is disengaged. No change in engine rpm. Any thoughts?

Posted on: 2011/5/17 17:37
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 overdrive clash of gears
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Reverse is non-synchro for sure and probably 1st isn't either on that 3 speed. That's why the gears "clash" when engaging. It is normal behavior unless everything is dead stop. Even then, if the gears are not "lined up" exactly the non-synchro ones will clash when engaging.

You could always "double clutch" downshift into 1st right before coming to a stop.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 18:41
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Could have a dragging clutch - check the pedal free play.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
You do not state if teh clashi9ng happens while the car is at a dead stop, but I presume so as when you shift into reverse for sure you're not moving. It sounds like your pilot or throwout bearing could be worn out or the trans is misaligned with the bell housing.

FYI, full synchro three speed trans first appeared in US cars in Ford, about 1961.

For better info than I can give, see the factory service manual diagnostic section or one in a Motors Manual

Posted on: 2011/5/17 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The clash always occurs when shifting after a dead stop. That is the only time I am in 1st or reverse.. I never shift into 1st or reverse when I'm moving. The throw out bearing has less than 1000 miles on it. The clutch was relined and pressure plate rebuilt at the same time the pressure plate was rebuilt. I had to make one of the shift rods out of a piece of threaded rod and had no sample to use. So, I know this may cause a problem with proper selection of gears, but it seems servicable. I wish I could find a new rod but there don't seem to be any available anywhere at any price. How would the alignment of the trans to the bell housing be corrected? It seems it bolts in place and as long as it is tight it should be ok. Don't know for sure, just wondering. I'm no expert.

Posted on: 2011/5/17 23:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
I haven't driven a 55 with three speed, but I have numerous others. If the gears want to clash in first and reverse, with the clutch pushed in, push the gear shift into second or high, then down to low or reverse. There is synchromesh on the top two gears. Putting the transmission in one of them before going to low or reverse stops the gears from moving - ergo, no clash.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2011/5/18 0:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I have tried shifting third to first and second to first but still have the same problem. With my next statement, my stupidity will show itself. I thought, with the clutch pedal depressed, the clutch is not engaged and so there should be no movement of any kind in the transmission. Therefore there should be no gear turning in the transmission to grind. That is if the car is at a complete stand still

Posted on: 2011/5/18 0:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
Aha!! Finally found someone applying logic. You are correct that if teh clutch is depressed there SHOULD be no movement. I assuming that you are waiting a second or so before shifting and giving the gears time to stop turning.

Obviously the gears are turning, now we have to determine why. There are at least two points of contact between the input shaft and the engine, one is the clutch faces.

Is the clutch fully disengaging? It should start to disengage (bottom of free play)at a distance specified in the shop manual, usually abouit 1 inch but check to be sure. If the free play is insufficient it will npot fully disengage when the pedal is to the floor.

The other is the pilot bearing. If the bearing has friction the input shaft will turn (weakly) when the clutch is disengaged. Also if the trans/engine are misaligned the input shaft will be off center slightly in the pilot bearing and cause drag with the same result. There could be some foreign matter between the bell hsg/ trans or the bell hsng/engine or bolts may be loose.

Factory shop manual may give other causes.

Good luck, Sherlock

Posted on: 2011/5/18 5:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Thanks for all the responses. The problem appears that I ignore the most obvious and dwell on worst case. I feel the problem is nothing more than adjusting the clutch pedal to the specs. I went out last night, stood on the clutch pedal and, son of a gun, no grind going into 1st or reverse. Repeated this several times. Guess in my old age I am not putting the pedal to the metal. Thanks to all, you hit the nail on the head.

Posted on: 2011/5/19 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Since a solution is in sight,,,,a couple of curious questions....

1) Is this a t-b car?

2) How much fun is it off the line or on the road? When I had my first 56 back in the late fifties, the mechanic told me they had gotten an early stick 55 at the dealers. A young mechanics "tested" it at a light, ripping the back bumper off the car. Sounds apocryphal to me, but it made a good story, particularly with embellishments about what happened afterwards.

Posted on: 2011/5/21 19:04
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved