Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
200 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 199

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Stopped because....what's your story?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I live near McDonalds store #1, which is now a museum of sorts. In the summer they park four cars in front, all colorful 55/56s from the big three. Across the street is an actual McDonalds.

Yesterday was a lovely day and I had the car out because I felt like it. So I run over to McD for breakfast. As I'm sitting in car a guy comes up and chats about cars very pleasantly and eventually departs. Happens all the time.

As I was backing out, I got stopped (politely) by what I thought was another car buff. Not really. It was security, checking to see that their cars were not being stolen. He was pleasant and very apologetic; knew instantly it wasn't one of theirs--which were all sitting under covers not 50 feet away.

Ya gotta love paranoia! What was your favorite encounter with it?

The real insult is that they think I'm stupid enough, after stealing the car, to go through the drive through and stop for a meal.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 16:43
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Stopped because....what's your story?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That must be the first "Corporate McDonalds" there, as the first actual McDonalds (pre-Ray Kroc buy out) was in San Bernardino, Calif.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 16:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have folks come up and say My uncle had a Caddy just like this! Substitute Chrysler and you've met the other guy. Some folks actually know what it is and understand the TL system. That's when I'm pleasantly surprised and willing to talk "Packard".

Posted on: 2011/5/25 19:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I usually get the guys who want to talk about the "air shocks" on the Packards.

Posted on: 2011/5/25 19:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
...or the ones that want to know "who made Packard, Ford or Chevy?"

Posted on: 2011/5/26 12:25
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
"That must be the first "Corporate McDonalds" there, as the first actual McDonalds (pre-Ray Kroc buy out) was in San Bernardino, Calif."

Quite correct. Before Ray passed away, he rewrote history to fit his vision/version. It is a popular sport among the very successful...

Posted on: 2011/5/26 17:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

scottie
See User information
Yes officer, here are my license and registration papers, was I doing something wrong? The reply was "What kind of car is this?" and I told him...Packard...., second question, "Who made Packard?".... Yep, just out of curiousity.....

Posted on: 2011/5/26 18:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

scottie wrote:
Yes officer, here are my license and registration papers, was I doing something wrong? The reply was "What kind of car is this?" and I told him...Packard...., second question, "Who made Packard?".... Yep, just out of curiousity.....

That's the series of questions I get. If it looks like they are genuinely interested, I'll try and explain the whole "50's thing" as best as I understand it. If not, I just answer "Packard" to the second question.

So far I haven't had to explain anything to a cop - my answers to them might be more like Scottie's.

Posted on: 2011/6/3 15:11
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
They stopped making cars when they merged with Hewlett and became one of the first computer manufacturers (joke)

Posted on: 2011/6/4 17:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

michael keller
See User information
I remember a spirited discussion with an elderly gentleman who tried to explain me for half an hour that my Packard was made by Chrysler. No way to convince him otherwise, not even with the owner's manual...

Posted on: 2011/6/15 10:54
The Ride Did Decide!

1956 Packard Executive Hardtop
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved