Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (34 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 40

PackardSanta, Craig the Clipper Man, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help in Monroe, MI SOON!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Hello, I've had another brainf*** and did not do what I should have done to begin with and asked you folks for help. I'm considering the 41 Packard 110 being sold at USA Trailer Sales in Monroe, MI as my last car to buy. It is just too far to go up on a whim to look at it so here is the deal.
Do any of you live close enough to that place to go by there Monday and take a look at it for me. I will be more than happy to pay you a consultants fee to save me from making a mistake like I did this weekend and this long drive for nothing (don't ask) but at least I met with Mike and picked up some good parts from him *saving grace!).
They say it drives but it shifts and brakes stiff after all these years in storage but the body is in good shape and the interior was restored in the 1950s.
My needs are simple. I want 39 or so with the bullet headlights that I can drive to the car shows for short distances. It does not need to be perfect. Sent me an e-mail and your requirement and we'll try to make a deal. There are only two more days left so my addled brain thought of it late (sorry). I'm thinking about$50-$100 depending on how far you have to drive but let me know what you think is fair if you can make it over there. Gene 765-628-2377 or cell 615-426-3348 for a more rapid response

Posted on: 2011/7/23 22:21
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Re: Help in Monroe, MI SOON!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Gene,

I have to say i am glad you didn't buy that car yesterday...we'd have both been in pain after loading that thing! She definitely was a little rougher than they let on. I know it's sad to say it, but that car is a good candidate to be hot rodded, i don't think there would be much interest in saving it as original, especially if those fenders can't be found.

Wish you luck finding someone in MI!

Posted on: 2011/7/24 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Thanks! And, thanks for meeting me there. Your insight was helpful on that car. It is a real shame that the owner was not more forthcoming about it. He told me on the phone that both the body and interior was in "good shape". I don't think you can call a screwed on patch or a rear fender that has the attachment points rusted off as being in good shape. I wasted about 9 hours of driving and many $$ of gasoline. The only redeeming feature was picking up the stuff from you and to be honest, I'd rather had paid shipping.
I've searched since I've gotten home and can find nothing and nowhere where I can get a rear fender but some people have substituted Chevy ones for it although they are not exactly the same. If you did that you'd have to replace both of them and then paint the entire car. Personally, I could not see even $3000 in the car let alone the $4000 he wanted. Gene

Posted on: 2011/7/24 9:18
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I had talked to the (maybe previous?) owner when the car was for sale locally in Rockford, MI - he had little idea what it was, didn't know difference 110-120-160-180. I suspect this owner is perhaps flipping it and it appears doing well on it. Still, no need to rod it.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 12:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
The car I was talking about rodding was a pontiac in ohio that we looked at over the weekend. I haven't seen the packard at all.

Posted on: 2011/7/26 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
OK, no help is needed. The car has gone out of my price range and been sold.

As far as the Pontiac is concerned, I've put out feelers for a rear fender nationally and gotten no response at all. The location of the attachment point would seem to make this a difficult patch to weld in since it is almost in the curve of the fender. And, I for one, do not like to make extensive use of Bondo like many people do. In fact, I'd prefer using none at all. Gene

Posted on: 2011/7/26 12:48
1939 Buick Special

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved