Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

55-6 TL control switches.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Decided to move this photo from another thread with a question.

Out of maybe a dozen switches, have only seen this issue once but wondering if anyone else has and if it could be common enough to cause some unexplained movement problems.

In the highlighted area, notice the small arm which moves the contacts. In the top switch, all is well & the arm is centered between two spring legs. The bottom switch has the left leg of the spring broken. Once the bar lever is moved to level car in one direction, as car levels even though the small lever moves back to it's normal position, spring leg is missing so lever has nothing to push against. It can't return the contact plate assembly to center and turn the system off so it goes to limit (hopefully stopping). If it needed to go the other direction, nothing would happen because the contact plate won't move. Without the spring pressure, there is also nothing to keep the contact plate from swinging to the side away from missing spring leg. The assy is fairly heavy and pretty free moving so if something bounced the switch or maybe even inertia might be enough, the plate can move and make contact. It might be enough for a solid contact or just a bouncy type thing which the time delay might not react to unless it was fairly persistent.

If others report seeing it then I think it would be a good idea on some unexplained movements to check the spring by disconnecting the link and moving lever by hand to feel tension in both directions.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.73 KB)
209_4e62667307f98.jpg 473X640 px

Posted on: 2011/9/3 12:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 55-6 TL control switches.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Have never seen that failure, but it is certainly easy to check for--lever must return to center when released.

Certainly the most common failure is dirty contacts. I think second in line would be the fine wire that heats the timer contact. That wire was glued on and here 56 years later the joint is failing. I have been able to solder those little devils down by gently abrading the wire to get a little insulation off. Its kind of like watchmaking.

My suggestion to T-L car owners is to leave the system on at all times unless the car is being hoisted. There is not the faintest chance of wearing the system out, but many perish from infrequent use. That is usually when ill-informed repairs are undertaken and a host of demons are released.

Posted on: 2011/9/3 19:24
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved