Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
241 user(s) are online (168 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 236

Packard Don, BigKev, Ozstatman, Don 37, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Down-hill wipers
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Hello everybody,I replaced the stock engine oil/vacuum pump with the Oldsmobile oil pump and now I don't have the vacuum to run my wipers (unless I'm decelerating down-hill). The way I see it I have two options, 1. replace the vacuum wipers with electric or 2. install and plumb a 12V vacuum pump to supply the vacuum. Both ways cost about the same. Has anyone out ther done either of these conversions and be willing to give me some advice? I'm also looking for opinions on both methods. (Be gentle)
Thanks, Brian

Posted on: 2011/6/8 12:18
 Top  Print   

Re: Down-hill wipers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your 3rd choice is to replace the single action Carter fuel pump with a double action pump such as used on the Nash and Hudson-equipped Packard V8 engines.

Incidently, I still run the original Packard oil pump but have blocked off the vacuum line from it so I'm just running on manifold vacuum. My wipers work fine at and constant road speed and modest acceleration but do slow, though not stop, on hard acceleration. Perhaps your vacuum motor isn't in the greatest of shape either. Consider having it rebuild by Ficken or equivalent and then reassessing the situation.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 12:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that the double action Nash pump interferes with the motor mount or crossmember and does not work.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
Thanks for the 3rd option. If your wipers work fine off manifold vacuum without a supplemental vacuum source, then mine should also. Did you install a vacuum resevoir for the wipers? I would like to keep the car as original as possible but want a safe car I can drive a couple hundred miles each way for a car show. Having just moved to Oregon, working wipers is a must. It looks like a rebuild is in the works. I like doing things myself, so maybe breaking the motor down and replacing the old grease with new will do the trick. Any "do's and dont's" I should know about?

Posted on: 2011/6/8 14:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
When I fist got my Packard, the w/w were inop. Reading through some postings here, I discovered a procedure that made my w/w motor operate almost as if it was new. The procedure was as follows:

1. fill a container with 'hydraulic tool oil'

2. diconnect the w/w motor's vacuum tube from the source, leaving it attached to the w/w motor.

3. put the free hose end into the container with the oil.

4. manually work the w/w's by moving the w/w arm briskly back and fourth through their entire sweep. This will suck the oil directly into the motors vacuum chamber and lubricate the various seals.

5. reconnect the vacuum hose.

I had to wait overnight and do the procedure a second time before it worked correctly.

It also helps to replace all of the hoses to prevent any vacuum leaks.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:03
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brian A.
See User information
I'll give that a try and let you know how it worked. Just curious, if the motor sucks oil in on each stroke of the wipers, where will the oil exit the motor once it fills up?

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fred Kanter said: I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that the double action Nash pump interferes with the motor mount or crossmember and does not work.

I don't think there are any clearance issues, based on this picture of Dwight Heinmuller's project. I've seen the same installation a few other times and never heard the owner comment about any clearance issues, though I did not specifically ask him that question.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.89 KB)
177_4defded8cd7e0.jpg 840X828 px

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'll give that a try and let you know how it worked. Just curious, if the motor sucks oil in on each stroke of the wipers, where will the oil exit the motor once it fills up?

Back into the intake manifold and burned in the engine once you start it up.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Doing the procedure on the passengers side first, it seemed to suck the oil in while pushing the arm towards the drivers side. The oposite side worked while pulling it towards myself.
The extra oil came out of the bottom of the motor assy.

BTW - I purchased the oil at my local NAPA store.

Posted on: 2011/6/8 15:45
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Dwight Heinmuller
See User information
I would diagnose the problem first. The wiper motor should be rebuilt if found to be lacking, rather than using the procedure as described. If the vacuum pump on a V8, which is attached to the oil pump, is not working properly, it will not provide adequate vacuum AND it may interfere with the propoer operation of the oil pump, which MIGHT cause an oil aeration problem, as it did on my '55 Clipper. I installed a double action fuel pump on my '56, which works well. Stop gap measures, instead of following proper procedures, will at times add to the problem. There are several other areas that may cause vacuum problems. One is worn hoses, hoses of improper size, including those to the power brake and vacuum tank, a vacuum tank filled with brake fluid, and a faulty check valve at the back of the carburetor, which provides vacuum to the power brake unit. Our Packards are all at least 56 years old. Using rube goldberg procedures is improper maintenance and care. Treat your Packard as you would a modern car and have it repaired properly, by using proper diagnosis and maintenance procedures.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 16:01
Dwight
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved