Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
please excuse the very ignorant question, I'm trying to learn.

Why would you look to a truck tranny? RWD car transmissions use much more advanced technology, and handle plenty of torque. Getrag 7 speed or 300 Hemi's, etc.

I'm not a fan of swaps, but if you are leaving original, why not go to current instead of trailing edge? (One of many reasons carburated SBC's make no sense to me)

Posted on: 2011/9/23 9:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Let's recap on possible automatic swaps into the V-8s:

1) The Chrysler 727 adapter is problematic, even in V2. Plus you still have a 727.

2) The 700R4 is not available anymore, as I understand it because the guy who was doing it CA is passed.

3) The TH400 ditto, plus it is not an O-D tranny.

4) So, the 4L60E swap is newly available, works well and is as affordable as a complete overhaul of the T-U. All that's needed is some ground swell support. The 56 electric shift does not seem too challenging to me as an adaption.

What's not to like about the 4L60 swap?

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/23 19:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think that's a pretty good summation although the 400 may still be available thru Jack Nordstrom. If still available, while it was designed around the 56 Golden Hawk, would think important parts are the same.

For the ground swell support, be nice to see some first hand info on future plans of this conversion from the source--or aside from Kevin, is it being made only thru PI channels.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 20:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Isn't the 4l60E just an electronic controlled 700r4? I would think the adapter kit would be the same, only using a vacuum switch, a 12v solenoid lock up kit from any tranny vendor, and a tv cable/bracket.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Also, I converted my 71 to OD (although stick shift) and am doing the same in the streetrod i'm working on...i just don't see the point of going through the effort and expense of this kind of project and not getting overdrive. So as stout as the TH400 is, i'd kind of shy away from that unless you were on a budget, it was easy AND cheap, and you weren't getting one rebuilt, just throwing one in on the cheap.

Posted on: 2011/9/23 20:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill
See User information
I believe thread #4 above answers your thread #44.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 0:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
REcap of characteristics of automatic transmissions that make good candidates for conversion to the Packard V8 engines. Probably also applies to streight 8.

1. REMOVEABLE bellhousing. THis makes conversion/adapter effort alot easier.
2. Has overdrive.
3. Are easily obtained and parts and service are easily obtained LOCALLY and relatively inexpensive.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 6:01
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Rowdy, thanks for the pointer, i had missed that post early on.

There are companies that make drop in small transmission controllers that would cost more than the 700r4 cable/vacuum switch setup, but they are plug n play, just give em power and it's ready to go. So at least we don't have to do any custom wiring.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
KevinAZ Quote:
I put 100 high elevation miles on the Packard 400 today in the White Mountains of Arizona. No issues with the transmission performing. I also at one point got her up to 75-80 MPH (fastest I've ever driven in her) passing another car up a long grade. Wow is all I can say.

All you have to do now is take it to the local drag strip or maybe the "Texas Mile." I look forward to your report on same.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/9/24 16:02
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
thanks for the 101
1) bell housing - I understand (although I don't know enough to know which qualify)
2)OD -wouldn't that be almost anything in the last 15 - 20 years or more?
3)Hmm. so an old 4spd because of cost? Wouldn't a modern 7- or 8-speed out of a wreck be worth it, especialy given the more limited engine rpm range of an older engine?

again, please be indulgent, I am a "stock" guy trying to pick up some education. My impression of most GM componentry of recent decades is that it was designed primarily to a price point - the quip for this era on GM is "The Mock of Excellence."

Posted on: 2011/9/26 16:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved