Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (162 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 233

JW49, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Voltage regulator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Since my Clipper had been changed from a generator to an alternator I have no idea just where the voltage regulator would have been mounted. The generator has been replaced on the car and now we just need to figure out where to mount the regulator. Any ideas?

Posted on: 2008/6/27 22:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Voltage regulator
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
If it's a modern style Alternator, then it has a internal regulator. All GM Alternators from about 1972 to the present have internal ones. You can tell because it will have a 3-wire terminal on the back where a molex plug atatches.

Posted on: 2008/6/27 23:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Sorry, I didn't make it clear. The alternator has been replaced with a new generator. I just need to know where to mount the regulator.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 1:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You didn't mention what year, but here is 51-4. 46-7 roughly same area, 55-6 on rt radiator support almost in front of generator.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.78 KB)
209_486652a5d608e.jpg 800X308 px

Posted on: 2008/6/28 10:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
Thanks guys, sorry for not being clear. That's what happens when you spend 5 extra hours at work cleaning mud out of the building. The Clipper is a 56, so I guess the regulator will go on the radiator support.

Posted on: 2008/6/28 23:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Xavier Brulez
See User information
Indeed, right in front of the alternator.
It's mounted on the radiator support at the passenger side.

Mine is mounted with the connection terminals on top.

Grtz,

Xavier

Posted on: 2008/7/9 17:37
Resized Image PONTIAC FIREBIRD 3.1 V6 '91 + FIREBIRD Esprit 4.1 L6 '80 + CHEVROLET CAPRICE Wagon 5.0 V8 '87 [img]http://uniform.messageboard.nl/10060/images/smiles/fl
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
In 55 the regulator was mounted so the terminals were not on top. They changed the position of the regulator in 56 so the terminals were right on top. Then they provided a square rubber extrusion that slid over the terminals so they wouldn't short. I bought one several years ago from Joel Ray. To my knowledge no one ever made a repro. I have never found it listed in the parts book.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 20:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What motivated you to change from alternator to generator????

Posted on: 2008/7/9 21:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
The main reason that I switched is so that I can show the car in a certain venue, namely The Henry Ford. Their annual Motor Muster is held over Father's Day weekend and is open to cars from 1932 to 1976. The only restrictions they have are that cars can only have items that were available the year of manufacture, ie no alternators, disc brakes, etc.

Posted on: 2008/7/9 23:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved