Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Re: GM 4L60E Transmission Adapted for 1955 Packard 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
actually i already rebuilt it awhile back. go back in my blog a few thousand pages, LOL!

i just don't know if i did a good job or not, cause i don't know if it works. i haven't tried it yet.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/10/7 14:35
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
This is a very interesting topic that I have been following and now feel the need to contribute. But firstly, a comment about Craig's post #42. The guy who was doing the Turbo 700R4 conversion in CA is still with us - it was his sub-contract engineer who did all the machining etc who died.

I visited him earlier this year and was told he still had all the blueprints, measurements etc, and was shown a modified 700R4 casing for a Packard straight 8, plus modified flex plate (see pic's below) He had none for the V8's left, but was hopeful of producing more if a quality replacement machine shop could be found. It seems most aren't interested in small production runs.

When I last communicated with him there had been nothing put in place and he stressed then that he wanted to remain incognito until such time as it is. I have deliberately not mentioned his name for this reason, but am able to contact him.

He was also remanufacturing Packard V8 oil pumps until his engineer died (my car has one fitted). Essentially, the vac pump was thrown away and the housing remachined to take a longer, 1/2" shaft. A 1/2" base plate machined to accept and support the shaft and Mellings Cadillac gears completed the job. No doubt there is more to it than that but you get the picture. A '57 Chev electric wiper motor is also fitted to my car.

I was basically marking time about a 700R4 project because of the bellhousing issue. However, I didn't realise that later versions of this transmission came with a bolt on bellhousing making them more conducive to modification, albeit with the need for some electronics. The 700R4 has been used extensively in Australia by Holden for many years, and I guess the later versions as well. Finding a core for modification shouldn't be a problem.

I wonder if Mr Butler has considered producing and selling machined bellhousings only? Does anybody know whether this might be a possibility? John

Attach file:

jpg  (125.86 KB)
237_4e9f9fb66ae0c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (128.25 KB)
237_4e9f9fe197f7c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (163.38 KB)
237_4e9fa00e5cef0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2011/10/19 23:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
JP,

I talked at some length too over the last 2-3 years with "M" over in California about the 700R4 (Ultra OD conversion) project. Most recently, this past January 2011, we spoke frankly and he told me that the man behind the project, "C", had closed up shop previously, but that he ("C") was thinking of doing a very small run of 700 conversions because of interest. I understood that "C" closed his shop with lathes etc for a variety of reasons and this project was a largely a wonderful labor of love for him. I could have it wrong, but I understood "M" to be the man that did the installs and physical applications in the client's cars only. Faced with the 700R4 project's lack of viability because "C" was out of the picture so to speak, I then turned to Art Butler. (Back in January I understood that "C" was still living.)

Reference Art, he is a gentleman and a true Packard devotee. His simple intention is to keep our Packards on the road for the world to see and he goes about it quietly. As you did previously mentioned, I too intentionally have not put Art's contact information on the world wide web at his request. Further, without going back to posts I've made on this thread already, I'm reasonably sure that I wrote how interested parties could contact him through PI's Packard's of Arizona club.

Thanks for posting your pics from "M".

Posted on: 2011/10/20 13:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hey guys!

It's really simple. If you want to get a 4L60E conversion for your V-8, contact Art Butler directly before his patience and supply run out. It's not like he's "off the grid" or anything.

That's what I would do if I needed one -- which I don't.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/20 18:15
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Kevin, we probably are talking about the same conversion, but I hadn't realised that there were three parties involved - designer/developer, engineering/machining & installation. I visited who I understand to be the designer and it was at a house with a number of sheds in the yard, not a full blown automotive workshop in an industrial area. The critical element of the project is the machinist and it is he who I understood had died. A couple of years ago a mutual friend suggested I contact the designer, which I did then via email so it's been awhile this project has been stalled.

Craig, I'm sure Mr Butler is well known and respected in auto circles where you are but, and certainly no disrespect intended, that doesn't appear to be the case over here in Australia. Further, taking Kevin's point on board about his desire for privacy, I've got no idea how to go about contacting him. An email address would be great as a short note shouldn't put too much pressure on him.

Essentially, my thinking is that if he has cast up and machined one or more bellhousings for the V8's, he or somebody close to him probably still has the mould, which could be used again (in theory anyway, not knowing the casting method). A bellhousing would be easier and less costly to ship than a full transmission, especially seeing a core should be readily available over here. Kind regards, John

Posted on: 2011/10/20 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JP Quote:
Craig, I'm sure Mr Butler is well known and respected in auto circles where you are but, and certainly no disrespect intended, that doesn't appear to be the case over here in Australia. Further, taking Kevin's point on board about his desire for privacy, I've got no idea how to go about contacting him. An email address would be great as a short note shouldn't put too much pressure on him.

That's why there are PMs (Private Message) on boards like this.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/21 4:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
Thanks for the heads up about Private Messages Craig. I suppose that's something I could/should learn about but you have to take into account that some of us senior citizens are not as smart with internet stuff like you young fellas. A little advice and patience helps us a lot in working through the maze. In any event, I imagine a Personal Message is intended for someone specific and the purpose of my post was to enquire whether somebody did actually have Mr Butler's contact details and could pass them on. In other words, to locate that someone specific. Obviously this could then be followed up if required by the PM process you have recommended. Kind regards, John

Posted on: 2011/10/22 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
JP Quote:
Thanks for the heads up about Private Messages Craig. I suppose that's something I could/should learn about but you have to take into account that some of us senior citizens are not as smart with internet stuff like you young fellas.

LOL! (That's internet speak for "Laughing Out Loud"). I'm 66, so I'm not exactly a "young fella" except in spirit. I think it's more a matter of getting familiar with internet message boards in this case rather than age. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I did software development for 20 years from 1981 to 2001, but most of it was NOT internet applications but instead old school industrial strength (big business) applications. There is some transfer however.

BTW (By The Way), don't PM me for Art's location info because I don't have it.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/22 3:10
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

smith
See User information
I have emailed Bendtsen Transmission Adapters a couple times regarding doing a 55-56 adapter. He indicated it would take the winter to figure that one out. I am hoping it is this winter. The adapter he has available for the straight 8 Packard looks very nice. I am going to get one of these for my 2678. I am going to put our 55 400 aside until Bendtsen gets these plates done unless there would be one similar to Kevin's available now. Third Ultramatic to date burned on the 55 400.

Posted on: 2011/10/22 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I have emailed Bendtsen Transmission Adapters a couple times regarding doing a 55-56 adapter. He indicated it would take the winter to figure that one out.

Why would you deal with a person/company who has no existing examples of an actual 55-56 T-U adaption?

Makes no sense to me. Buy what works.

Craig

Posted on: 2011/10/22 21:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved