Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 222

DM37, 37Blanche, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: ground strap?
Home away from home
Home away from home

packardtaximan
See User information
Proper sized cables are a must. I learned the hard way on a trip ot Texas with our 48 super 8. Pre trip I had the starter rebuilt, tuned up the engine and replaced both battery cables with off the shelf heavy duty 6 or 12 volt cables. The second fuel stop the engine would barely turn over. My wife and I push started it every time we stopped. After we got to Texas one of the old timers told me my cables were the wrong size. I ended up buying another set of the modern heavy duty cables and doubled them up for each connection. It worked just fine until I found the proper sizze cables to install.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 18:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi folks:

The senior cars had a braded strap from the transmission mount to the chassis.

Later they relied on the generator ground wire and the accelerator linkage. 55 and 56 started with a rubber bushing in the accelerator linkage so they added a braded strap from the motor to the body (I assume) which also helps reduce radio interference.

Anyway, I have found that the starter circuits on these old Packards usually suffer from voltage loss. This is very bad for starter motors because they then draw more amperage and burn up faster. Thus, the car would benefit from additonal strapping to get the battery ground directly onto the starter bolt.

Posted on: 2012/3/24 7:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Schmick
See User information
FWIW, my 50 Super has a grounding strap going from the generator case to the chassis (it's attached at the bottom of the forward leg of the metal platform that holds the battery).

Ditto on the importance of those battery cables. Mine were clearly undersized when I acquired my vehicle. I ordered some 00 cables from Max Merrit (they were HUGE compared to what I had before). Not cheap, but they were beautifully crafted and were precisely the needed lengths...I was impressed. Never an issue starting my car!

Posted on: 2012/3/24 14:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks so much for the replies!! They have proved very very helpful!!

I think many I still need larger cables... It starts [I]better[/I] now, but after a day or so it is hard to turn over (average being around 5-10 starts a day, it's a semi-daily driver). It'll still start if it's already warm, but first thing in the morning you can just forget about it unless it's hooked up to the charger. I'm thinking either called still too small, or generator is not keeping up...

Also, I plan to run two ground cables now, one from block where negative batt hooks up to frame, and another from frame to starter bolt, to help reduce voltage loss.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 0:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved