Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 208

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

any advice on auto. storage in humid climate???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
I am checking in to get some advice about storing my 52/200 in the wet humid climate in Hilo, hawaii.????
I bought my car last July. Now i am gearing up to build a storage building/garage for my car. I am on a budget , so i will do most of the work myself. I already have a 10x22' slab which i will use. I will add another 6' at the rear for tool storage etc.
My question is what can i do to help the car against all the moisture here in hawaii and the humidity.????
I am willing to insulate and wall board the garage. what about ventilation,: like a fan or?????
I know dehumidifiers are expensive to run.
would a small a/c unit from home depot remove enough moisture????
What do other guys do in humid , wet climates.???
thanks in advance for any advice.

Posted on: 2012/3/28 15:43
 Top  Print   

Re: any advice on auto. storage in humid climate???
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I would think that a local builder would be a good resource to answer your questions. As they are the most familiar with conditions, building techniques, and rot-resistant materials used out there. ...also the indigenous bugs and creatures that might eat said materials and dwellings.

Good luck!

Mark

Posted on: 2012/3/28 15:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Tim:

Humidity is not the big issue, the dew point is. I was in Africa for a while and there the temperatures ran 125F and 90+% humidity. Very little rust. However, the heat and sun destroyed all non-metallic materials.

So I would look into a heater to keep the storage unit above the dew point. Here in the USA that is very economical because the dew points are usually below 40-45F.

If the dew point in Hawaii is 65-70F then you'll be heating the garage most of the time.

The issue of pests is more complicated as they don't make DDT and Chlordane anymore. Mothballs are a standard for anything woolen. Perhaps you will need to fumigate every now and then.

How's that?

Posted on: 2012/3/28 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the advice. the dew point info is great. now i have some great info to expand on. thanks.

Posted on: 2012/3/29 15:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken Sadler
See User information
I would say that a dehumidifier is not more expensive to run than an air-conditioner - quite the opposite.

While we don't have very high humidity levels in the UK it does get damp espeically in winter and I run a very small dehimidifier during the winter months.

Unseen components will always benefit from application of Waxoyl in my opinion

Posted on: 2012/3/30 6:24
1930 Deluxe 8 745 Dual Cowl Sport Phaeton
See me in the Registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved