Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 215

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series Ground
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Hi everyone, my Deluxe 8 does not want to start when hot, turns over real slowly. Yesterday I was checking around and did not see a ground strap from the motor to the chassis or any ground other than from the battery to the motor. Should there be another strap? I know I need to check other things as well, but thought I would ask about the strap here just to see if I am missing one. thank, Dave

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 22nd series Ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Consensus was they didn't use a strap between engine and chassis on all models until the V8's. Some have mentioned seeing one near the transmission/rear crossmember on some earlier models. If nothing is there, it certainly won't hurt to add one if you like.

On yours, believe there is a single fairly small wire from the generator frame to the L front fender headlight junction block mounting screw where it bonds to sheetmetal. From there it branches to other fender and to firewall. That one is primarily to ensure a good ground reference between generator and regulator.

The strap between battery and engine is the main current carrier with most of the chassis stuff feeding back to it thru linkages and other metal to metal connections. Both it and the battery cable to starter solenoid need to be adequate size for 6v. If they have been changed from factory originals, possibly a modern but usually too small a replacement was made.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved