Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

37, 120 heat riser question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
While trying to solve my vapor lock problem on my 37, 120 coupe convertible, I realized that there is a heat riser on the exhaust manifold and it appears my car is missing parts.

All that exists on the outside of my exhaust manifold is the shaft extensions on both the front and the back. The front shaft has a slot for a spring and the lug exists on the manifold for the spring but no spring.

On the rear side all that exits is the shaft which has a pin running through it.

Obviously, I need parts to put everything back together but for now I just plan to wire the shaft open as the carb heat is not really required in 90+ weather.

My question is how do I determine the open position? The shaft was frozen when I found it but I have now freed it up but I am not sure of which way the shaft should be turned to open the valve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to take things apart!!!

Rod

Posted on: 2012/7/23 20:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 37, 120 heat riser question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Though not covered in the shop manual, this site's exclusive Service Index for 1935-37 Junior (120->115C) models, namely the FUEL & EXHAUST section, shows several topics published in the factory service newsletter regarding the manifold heat valve.

However, an illustration in SL Vol. 10, No. 19 shows the valve in the open position. I've not worked on these cars, but it looks to me like the thermostatic spring, as it cools, would rotate the shaft counterclockwise to close the valve, but judge for yourself.

Then, when you're ready to look into parts details, know that the manifold heat valve is covered in the Engine section of the 1935-1941 Packard Parts List.

However, no exploded view of this valve was provided until the 1948-1954 parts book. Rather than download a whole 'nuther section for just one image, our webmaster has provided individual images from the part books in the site's Photo Archive for quick reference. There's a tremendous wealth of knowledge in the site's archives and feature, if you take time to look, but to give you a jump start, the plate you need is shown below:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Be advised that the cover for the thermostatic spring is not applicable to your car.

Posted on: 2012/7/23 22:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 37, 120 heat riser question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
Thanks for reminding me of the Service Index. I had been researching the Forum topics without much luck. I have found more then I needed in the Service Index.

Thanks again for the help,

Rod

Posted on: 2012/7/24 22:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved