Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Old gas tank 54 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Removed the gas tank today on the 54 Clipper, relatively easy job. The owner had told me it leaked and had about 3 gallons of gas in it. The gas gauge was reading very low all the time , until the last time I checked out the heat gauge when doing the cooling system. A new regulator is on order. Well-----the gas gauge was correct! Following Kev's example I put a jack with a piece of plywood on it just in case the tank was to be heavier than expected. It sure was! I pumped 7 to 9 gallons of gas out of the tank. The tank must have been reworked in 89-91 time frame. The sending unit is in good condition, there is a new welded drain plug on it(I missed this when removing), and even the vent hose was in good condition. I found the patch and it was a temporary one and would not have held up. The gas was greenish small amount of sediment. I will take to the shop that did my radiator, he charges the same for a gas tank job- $140.00. Learning from the cooling system I will do the job correct the first time. A new gas line will be installed and I will be very close finishing the mechanical portion of the Clipper. Ultramatic is the last part and appears to work fine. All of the items the owner said were redone are in good shape so far.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 20:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Old gas tank 54 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's good news the gas gauge is working and the sender is in good shape but if it is correct, then doubt the regulator will solve the temp gauge problem.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 21:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I was thinking about that after the posting. I have a new sending unit installed for the temp gauge. The NAPA unit is $28.00 IR1, it is not installed yet so I can take it back.
So it must be a wire problem in the dash from the regulator to the temp gauge? I was sure when I saw the gas gauge at 1/2 that it was wrong also, but not the case in reality.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 21:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would disconnect the wire to sender at gauge and see if it's shorted. If it's OK, then check the regulator output just to see if there is any meaningful reading or pulsing with your meter. Depending on the response speed of the meter, some barely get off zero before the contacts open and others with a faster response get a bit more of a reading. At any rate, it should either pulse or be less than battery voltage -- 5 volts is the spec.

The regulator input is the middle terminal and output should be the terminal close to one edge. Goes to first gauge bat post and then connect straight to the other via a short jumper between the two. Might make sure that things are hooked up correctly

I don't have a decent meter available anymore but the cheapo crapsman digital I do have measures 14-16 ohms for the gauges. They are 55 gauges but with the same sender and regulator values used, should also be similar in earlier years.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 21:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I will be on it tomorrow if it isn't over 100, today was great at less than 90 and I got several items accomplished.

Posted on: 2012/7/30 22:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Gas tank still out for repair. It was redone in 1990 and the shop needs to cut a hole in the bottom so the flaking from the top can be removed and recoated. Do most of you Packard guys put a in line fuel filter before the fuel pump just a precaution ?
Installed a Temp gauge to go along with the oil pressure gauge. Temp runs about 190 and the oil pressure at idle is 30 psi.
Drove the Clipper about 6 blocks today,probably the first time in 20+ years. Didn't sound real good: thumping tires- probably flat from sitting too long, engine stalled when stopped, and other misc noises. Since I live in town I need to find a place to take the car to test drive it without being stopped in the area traffic. Still feeling out wheels, bearings, rear end, transmission, u-joints etc...Brakes work fine!

Posted on: 2012/8/11 13:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
After cleaning my tank and sealing with the Eastwood system, I have been driving daily for over two months without a filter and no problems.

If your tank is redone and sealed properly you shouldn't need a post-tank filter. The correct location would be between the pump and carb. That's all you need, and it would be correct. I don't think any Packards came from the factory with a filter between the tank and pump.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 21:10
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
If your tank is redone and sealed properly you shouldn't need a post-tank filter. The correct location would be between the pump and carb. That's all you need, and it would be correct. I don't think any Packards came from the factory with a filter between the tank and pump.

None came with a filter right out of the tank but several have had sediment and other issues which managed to clog up their electric pumps. If the tank is absolutely clean, probably no need but if there is a chance crap is flaking off it certainly wouldn't hurt to add a decent capacity durable or at least protected filter ahead of the electric pump.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 21:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Howard said,

"None came with a filter right out of the tank but several have had sediment and other issues which managed to clog up their electric pumps. If the tank is absolutely clean, probably no need but if there is a chance crap is flaking off it certainly wouldn't hurt to add a decent capacity durable or at least protected filter ahead of the electric pump."

Yes, but only if you use an inline electric pump. Using a post-tank filter and relying solely on the mechanical pump to pull the fuel can result in the fuel delivery being compromised by only a small amount of sediment from the tank. Additionally, using an electric pump and filter with a slightly dirty tank will require frequent filter changes. Ask BigKev- he has been there.

After cleaning my tank, I tried a fairly large inline filter, with no electric pump, and found that I could only drive about 1/2 to 1 mile before running out of fuel. I then cleaned the tank again, and sealed it with the Eastwood system, and with no filter, have had no more problems.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 22:58
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I hope that needing another cleaning isn't the problem. With all new line and a filter before the carb, I am getting no(or almost none) gas in the new filter.

When I started the car after installing the tank and new line with the old filter in place, I could see fuel sloshing into the filter housing and the car would stall after a few minutes unless I pushed the accelerator. Changed to a new filter and now the car will not start at all. I shot some fast start into the carb and still no start. I am checking the plugs for spark, but I am concerned that there is a problem witht the new tank.
Question? Can the pickup tube in the tank move at all? When I install the flare fitting is went on very tight and I was concerned at that time about the pick up tube.

Help!

Posted on: 2012/9/19 9:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved