Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 218

58survivor, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Windshield wiper mystery - 1956 Clipper De Luxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
In my case the Bowden cable seems only to regulate the coordinator assy directly, in the sense that if you "slack off" the cable, it had been possible for the coordinator assy to move freely towards the wiper motor thus hitting the plastic slide, and withdrawn by force when tightening the cable.
As there is no direct connection between Bowden cable and the slide, other than beeing pushed to one side by the coordinator assy, I need help to understand as to how the regulation of the wiper motor works.
Anybody?

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/6 14:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here's a few photos that might help.

Note on the bare motor photo the recess and slit in the front of plastic slide.

If no coordinator, the cable goes in the front casting housing recess and cable end and washer goes to bottom of slit. Screw holds cable in tightly and only the knob works the slide. End of cable pushes against slide and washer caught by the cable end crimp against the slit pulls it back.

Note the end of coordinator -- cable and washer similar to switch cable end and the flat extension with a slot off to the side of block.

Coordinator now goes in the front and it's cable end and washer is installed in the recess and slit the same way as the regular switch cable would have been. The block extension with the slot is positioned so slot is adjacent to the rear cable housing recess in motor casting.

Switch cable is now in the rear casting recess. Make sure it goes thru the small slot in extension at end of coordinator block. The washer and end of cable are between the slide and the slot on the coordinator block. It is not directly attached to either. Once in position, turn the knob to pull the coordinator slot and cable housing together while still keeping cable housing in the casting recess. Tighten the screw and washer onto cable.

Operation with coordinator:

When knob is turned to extend the cable, cable end pushes against the slide which moves and pulls the coordinator along with it.

When turning off by the knob, the cable end being crimped holds the washer which then bears against the slot on coordinator block and pulls it back. Since it is attached to the slide, that also is pulled back.

When windshield washer is in operation, the coordinator does it all. Since the cable from switch is not directly connected to slide, it does not interfere or come into play. The piston in coordinator extends and moves the slide. The air bleed slowly allows the spring to return the piston home when vacuum is cut off and thus pulls the slide back with it.

If the knob was turned after the coordinator was extended and switch cable was then preventing the slide from coming back, the coordinator just slides toward motor as it would normally do with switch operation as it tries to return it's piston to rest position. The knob would then turn everything off as usual when operator desired.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.93 KB)
209_502025da5a9af.jpg 640X376 px

jpg  (25.03 KB)
209_502025e5549be.jpg 640X410 px

jpg  (20.28 KB)
209_502025f0cae2f.jpg 640X360 px

jpg  (19.86 KB)
209_502025fe4d4a7.jpg 640X288 px

jpg  (20.42 KB)
209_50202610ce23d.jpg 640X277 px

jpg  (29.00 KB)
209_5020261c9d6e9.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  (20.42 KB)
209_5020262e3ea33.jpg 640X298 px

jpg  (18.52 KB)
209_5020263db37cb.jpg 640X297 px

jpg  (30.63 KB)
209_50202649a04e1.jpg 640X380 px

Posted on: 2012/8/6 15:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
HH56 and JeffM.

Thank you for taking the time to explain how the wipers work.
Now I have only got to repair it!

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/7 2:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Just don't open the wiper motor (the semi-circle). Or if you do, figure on sending it to Ficken. Ficken is not too expensive, though, so don't worry too much.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Mystery partly solved. I had to replace the Bowden cable, as the outer cable housing was broken. I also reinstalled the two hoses (new) for the arc regulation.
Wipers now work again, alas not the arc control, which I had hoped.
For the time beeing I let it go at that, and look forward to a rebuild.
Once again thanks for all the help and good wishes.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try switching the position of the two arc control hoses at the wiper switch - they are position-specific.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for the tip, the switching did not help.

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/16 1:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The switching mechanism in the motor may be dirty, binding or broken but at least you have wipers and presumably they are doing the full sweep now.

Remember to check the tubes on the switch however you leave them & listen carefully to make sure there is no faint hissing noise behind the dash. If the hoses are connected on the wrong ports, then there will be a small vacuum leak if the lever is at one extreme.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 8:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
I only have the super speed range (short arc), and can barely regulate the speed. I did experience the hissing noise on the first attempt installing the hoses.
So now I know what I want for Christmas .

Tom

Posted on: 2012/8/17 2:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On rechecking how the variable sweep operates, I find I was in error in saying the mechanism uncovers an extra port for the second speed. It actually is strictly mechanical and no extra ports are involved. My bad.

If you want to look at yours, Vacuum needs to be present for a full sweep on this motor. I THINK it is a 56 but won't swear to it. By moving the lever, vacuum is disconnected and hose is then open to air. That releases a piston which is pulled forward by a flat spring & changes the mechanical relationship with the snap actuator.

The first photo is the front compartment of motor showing the plastic vacuum port direction change paddle at the top. The items underneath are the snap piece & spring that moves the plastic. Those are actuated by the small tab directly attached to paddle and shown in second photo of the bare chamber. The ports are the round holes. Top center is the vacuum source and the two holes to either side go to either side of the paddle.

Operation: Vacuum is directed to center and depending on which way the plastic is tilted it enters one side or the other of the motor. As the paddle moves, the small tab follows and when it reaches a certain point on the center actuator, the snap action occurs moving the plastic to direct vacuum to the other port.

The full sweep needs vacuum at the center connection. The third & fourth photo shows the front cover. The top slot in flat spring slides into the snap actuator. With vacuum applied, it pulls a piston located in the center under the flat spring. That pulls the snap actuator slightly away from the paddle tab.

The fifth photo shows the rear of the snap actuator. Note the two levels at the bottom. With no vacuum and the actuator all the way back by virtue of the flat spring, the paddle tab actuates on the first steps providing a narrower arc. With vacuum, the piston pulls the flat spring and actuator forward. The paddle tab misses the narrow area and now moves all the way to the second level to make the snap action. This gives a longer sweep.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.02 KB)
209_502eacc3b0a7d.jpg 640X421 px

jpg  (26.72 KB)
209_502eaccf7ad15.jpg 640X430 px

jpg  (24.06 KB)
209_502eaced957cd.jpg 504X640 px

jpg  (19.07 KB)
209_502ead05a422c.jpg 437X640 px

jpg  (34.41 KB)
209_502ead175014a.jpg 640X640 px

Posted on: 2012/8/17 15:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved