Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 210

humanpotatohybrid, Packard Don, Bingo, Out Islander, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

that Effin' Pin!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Who guessed right? Yes, the pin that holds the rocker arm in the fuel pump. This is twice it has come loose. I will fix it from doing it again, but right now, I am re-installing. The first time, as I recall, I just stuck the rocker arm into the (whatever part if the engine that has the hole for it). I don't recall having to be exact or anything. I just did it.

This time, I am having some trouble getting the car started. Maybe I need to pump more than I have been already to get gas to flow through the system anew. But all the pumping so far without success makes me wonder about the position of the rocker arm again.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:15
 Top  Print   

Re: that Effin' Pin!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What year and pump. Some like the 55-6 Carters had a hairpin type clip under the rocker arm into a groove in the pin. Aftermarket vendors that ship a pin with rebuild kits apparently are not providing the groove. Staking the pin apparently is not enough.

Is the cam eccentric perhaps in a position where you have to compress the diaphragm to get it under. On the long arm Carters, if you are not careful it can slip on top of the eccentric and arm can actually be damaged. If it's one of those type pumps, hopefully the fingers were crossed and stars aligned correctly so that didn't happen.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
All I know for now is I have a 56 Clipper Sedan delux.

I am not sure about the terminology of cam and eccentric, etc.

All I know is I had two pieces to the rocker arm. A thin one that slipped inside a thick one. The holes align. Then, align the 2 pieces with the pump, and push the pin in to hold it all together. Then, just push the whole thing kind of haphazardly into the body, line up and tighten bolts.

That's what I did....

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The eccentric is a piece with an off center hole that works the pump arm. It is located on the end of camshaft on V8s and the pump arm must be on the bottom side.

The pumps originally had a clip in the groove on pin as shown by the black arrow in photo.

When you put the pump back together did you make sure the slot at end of arm was under the lift pad attached to diaphragm in pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.93 KB)
209_5029acb20e74b.jpg 658X320 px

jpg  (18.47 KB)
209_5029acbc215c1.jpg 405X358 px

jpg  (10.16 KB)
209_5029acc5d7d24.jpg 640X170 px

jpg  (26.45 KB)
209_5029accf6db7a.jpg 640X523 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Thanks for the pics and discussion. I shouldn't have let myself be in a hurry, but it was getting dark. I did not align the linkage inside the body. I will have to disassemble and re-do in the morning. I sure hope I didn't create damage to the rocker arm. It might have gotten a beat up from being installed wrong.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Assuming I did not damage the assembly, my plan was to put something "washer-like" with an elbow to block the pin from sliding in the future.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I couldn't wait to see, so I disassembled.

I am not seeing a slot on the end of my arm. On the end appears something like a rectangular cap with 4 rivets or screws.

I put my finger in the body and felt where the channel changes direction to downward. I felt nothing inside.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What kind of pump? Doesn't sound like the original Carter they used. Maybe AC?? The arm would still have to go under the eccentric but the method of pump arm to diaphragm attachment apparently differs. Not sure what if any info I have on others but will look if I know the brand.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Can't find a stamp, except on the housing, it says "Made in Canada." It has 10 small hex bolts holding it all together.

I can't feel anything inside the body. Do I have to click the ignition to make it come back into range?

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The eccentric is about 3 1/2 inches in so doubt you'd feel anything without using a screwdriver or something like that to push against it.

Pump description isn't familiar but if you can post a photo I'll look thru some aftermarket books and see if I can find something that looks like it. If not, maybe someone else will have seen one similar.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.97 KB)
209_5029b7029b4a4.jpg 640X470 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved