Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 206

R H, JohnCB, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Re: that Effin' Pin!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
This is a good shot of the rocker arm. Quite long.

I have it cocked, but the direction of the bend once inside the body will be downward.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.56 KB)
1168_5029ba0d6b5db.jpg 1280X959 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Also, the end is blunt. There are no slots or grooves. Whatever it links to, I bet it goes inside it. But the arm goes so far inside the body, there is no way I could ever see it go into place. I really don't recall going through all this the first time the pin came out.

Maybe it takes a long time and a lot of pumping to get the gas flowing through the system. What is to be expected in this regard after reassembly? Start right up? Start after a few pumps of the pedal? Start after 20 pumps of the pedal? Pumping the pedal makes no difference?

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Looking at the construction of the end of the arm, I can't see what might be able to pull it back down to get the pumping action.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears to be an AC pump (or at least a copy of one). This one has the initials cast in the very top of casting in middle of the round bump. At any rate, nothing to worry about on getting that arm on the wrong side. It rides on the side of the eccentric. You might stick a screwdriver straight in toward the top of opening just to make sure nothing is amiss and you do feel the eccentric.

I would try a manual stroke and if the arm feels like it is working the diaphragm -- (will be fairly stiff against the spring but you should be able to manually move it thru a stroke) -- then pump is probably still connected properly. If arm doesn't want to move or moves very easily then time for a check to see what happened.

If the car had been running, gas should be fairly close and shouldn't take too much to get it thru pump. A few drops of gas dropped down carb throat might let it run long enough to get the gas thru. If that doesn't do it then hard to say what might have happened and will require checking all that could affect it.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.80 KB)
209_5029be322a816.jpg 640X390 px

Posted on: 2012/8/13 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure from your photo but the arms look to be at a different angle. Mine is up but with yours appearing to be down, maybe something is still disconnected in your pump.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
That's what it looks like, but it does not have the imprinted initials.

Anyway, I am having a fun time of trying to get it seated back against the body. It seems at the last 1/8", the arm is bumping against something. I have moved it all around, but obviously haven't hit the right spot.

I maybe could do better if I took the lower gas line off, but then, it just starts dumping gas everywhere.

BTW, the rocker arm can be pumped manually. It seems like it's right. It's not stiff in the least bit, but it is not dangling around, either. It is solidly in place and can be easily rocked. You can let go, and it stays in the position where you left it. Nothing is loose.

Do you happen to know where the G-spot is for that dang rocker arm?

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Not sure from your photo but the arms look to be at a different angle. Mine is up but with yours appearing to be down, maybe something is still disconnected in your pump.

They look the same to me. Yours is cocked a little higher, but I could pump the arm to get mine in the same position if I wanted.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
On second thought, you are right. I will double check the arm's connection into the pump itself.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sounds as if it's running against the eccentric as it must be just starting or ending a stroke. No way to tell where the "sweet spot" is other than just bump the starter and keep trying. You might even have to put pump in and then compress the diaphragm spring to slide it the rest of the way and bolt.

Definitely check the arm. One thing bothers me in your statement if I'm understanding it correctly. That up position should be the resting point of the arm. There should be no pumping possible or needed to get it in that position -- should be only able to move the arm downward.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I don't recall gas draining so much last time I did this. It just will not stop.

I have to figure out how to catch it or plug it. I already filled a 16 oz. bottle, and it keeps on flowing and flowing.

Sheesh!

I am going to think on this a few minutes and will check back to see what your thoughts are.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved