Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
233 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 231

JD in KC, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: that Effin' Pin!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the car is slightly downhill or a full tank, it may be gravity or siphoning from the tank. About all I could suggest is something pointed and the appropriate size - maybe like a golf tee or tape wrapped around something - that would fit inside and plug the hose.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

JeffM wrote:
That's what it looks like, but it does not have the imprinted initials.

Anyway, I am having a fun time of trying to get it seated back against the body. It seems at the last 1/8", the arm is bumping against something. I have moved it all around, but obviously haven't hit the right spot.

Don't feel alone Jeff, I too have joined the "Order of the Pivot Pin" recently. My pump is an AC and when I install it the arm does almost entirely disappear inside the engine with only about a quarter of an inch or less of arm showing before I feel the arm hit the eccentric. I too have wondered if the arm is truly long enough but it worked fine before the pin exited.

I put the arm into the engine until I felt it hit the eccentric. At that point, I started the two bolts and the proceeded to alternately tighten both just a little until the mounting face of the pump was up against the engine and then tightened both bolts to spec.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/8/13 22:47
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Yep! The arm was not in the slot on the pump side.

Any quick 'n easy fixes to stop the pin from moving in the future? I am going to take a short break and check back before putting it all back together.

Thanks, mucho, mucho! I really appreciate it. Looks like I'll be back in shape pretty quick. Then, I'll post about the car running hot.

Posted on: 2012/8/13 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
My kit from Then & Now had a clip to hold the pin in. One way might be to try an mushroom the pin on each end if there is any excess on each side - it shouldn't take much. Of course if you do that you'll pretty much limit what you can do if you should have to rebuild that pump in the future.

As far as running temperature goes mine runs "cold" according to the gauge. Maybe we can come up with a happy medium for both of us.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 0:23
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Quote:

Jim L. in OR wrote:
mine runs "cold" according to the gauge. Maybe we can come up with a happy medium for both of us.

Must be nice in Portland! Today, it was 100 degrees out. I took a 40 minute drive down the freeway. No congestion. Went 65-75 most of the way.

About 20 minutes into it, it got pretty hot (almost all the way according to the gauge). Then, all the sudden, it cooled to about half. About 5 minutes later, it went up again and stayed up.

I exited off the freeway to the road that goes to my subdivision. At the second light it stalled.

I noticed coolant had overflowed. I had to get a tow. When back home, I noticed the fuel pump pin also jarred loose. It was a double-whammy. Those are the best kind.

Pump is back assembled, but I can't get it to start. I poured a little gas in the carb a few times. It would barely start and then conk out.

It's late, and the neighbors are probably pi$$ed hearing me try to start it. I packed up and will continue in the morning.

The oil looks good (no anti-freeze in it).

The car has always driven hot, but with the 100-degree temp outside, it was just too much. I wonder if this is the nature of the beast or if it can be improved. I changed T-stat a long time ago to see if it would resolve. No luck.

I'm tired...... Manana!

Posted on: 2012/8/14 0:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Gents, I found a spring on the ground about 1 3/4" long by 1/3 " diameter. I know this has to be my culprit. Where do I attach it?

Posted on: 2012/8/14 8:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JeffM wrote:
Gents, I found a spring on the ground about 1 3/4" long by 1/3 " diameter. I know this has to be my culprit. Where do I attach it?

I suspect the spring might be the one on the bottom of the arm.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.35 KB)
209_502a5b72eee09.jpg 640X298 px

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:06
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
NM. Once I took the pump back out, it was obvious.

Dang thing still does not pump gas. This is killing me. The only think I would know would be to disassemble the pump completely.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
Sorry about the "NM," Howard. I was writing and let it sit there for a few minutes before submitting. Our posts crossed.

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeffM
See User information
I disconnect the fuel supply at the bowl in front of the carb and then cranked the ignition. Dry. Nothing feeding through the hose.

The thing that bothers me is that only the pin came out. Since the arm is in 2 pieces held together by the pin, once it came loose, I can't see any possible way that the arm could have damaged anything. After all, at that point, it was loose and not in motion.

When I learned that I failed to put the arm back into the slot way inside the pump, I did that, and then, when I cranked the arm, you could hear the air. That should be good news.

Then, it was the spring I lost and found again. I put it exactly where it should be.

So, I don't know....

Posted on: 2012/8/14 9:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved