Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 149

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

CONGRADULATIONS PUSHBUTTON
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Pushbutton: I very glad to see that you are getting an article published in the upcoming issue of TPC. That information you posted certainly helps clear up something that has been puzzeling me for about a year now.

In the AACA forum last year you made an public offer to me, to help resolve a mattter between Stu Blond and myself over a letter he refused to publish in the TPC. You and I had two brief email exchanges on your offer. Your last email to me stated you wanted me to send you a copy of the letter I sent to Stu Blond, which I did email you a copy. Ever since sending a copy of the letter to you, you have been silent on the offer you made publically to me.

Now it seems that Stu made you a pretty good offer, for not helping me.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/5 19:57
 Top  Print 

Re: CONGRADULATIONS PUSHBUTTON
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
John--let me first apologize to you for not getting back to you re: the copy of the letter you sent to Stu. I received it, mulled it over and life got busy (My wife and I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old and we both have careers) I put the letter in my "to-do" pile with good intentions and lots of other tings came up.
I have been social with Stuart (and Stella) for about 20 years, we really only talk at Perrysburg and Hershey. Stuart has been the V-8 roster keeper, we both own the same car, and Stella and I share a love for Laurel and Hardy movies. I don't go to PAC conventions, and am not enmeshed in the fabric of PAC politics. I offered to write an article for the Cormorant about the Conner assembly plant based on a rather exciting find I made of some never-before published photographs and records I discovered through my work. Stuart is no different than any other club publication editor, he needs content (most often quality content in the case of the Cormorant, silly 1965 V-12 hoaxes notwithstanding) I could provide the goods, and I did--on a volunteer basis, as is always the case.
If you recall we talked about your sending me all of your thoughts and clarifications on your dear friend Brad Berry (a man I never had the pleasure of meeting) In any order that they came to you, and I would take these and write into a piece that would either be an article or a long letter to the editor that would explain "the Brad Berry that I knew?. The goal being to give depth and understanding to a person you knew far better than Stu. As I said on the AACA forums, ranting at Stuart isn't going to produce a piece he's going to want to see in print in the club's publication, it's not called the
"Corm-O-RANT". A gentle, passionate explanation of the facets of a man you knew well should, and I will urge Stu to run it in the interest of peace and understanding, not that I have any particular state of favor other than having just contributed an article. Send me those thoughts, I pledge to you I won't let it get lost in paper stack 13 in my home office and in one week's time I'll fashion it into an article, and campaign it with the editor. You can PM me here, or send it directly to my home email, 56packman(at)twmi(dot)rr(dot)com (I express it this way to discourage spammers, you know how it should really look). Again, I apologize for not getting back to you on your initial letter, but I'll do what I can to help you clear the air about Brad. If you put your thoughts into a document file it's a good idea to copy and paste them into email text in case there are software incompatibilities (as is often the case) I have made a habit of doing this in my big writing projects (I write for another hobby publication, non-automotive in nature) and that saves a lot of time.

JL

Posted on: 2007/3/6 7:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
I am in no way interested in having anyone fashion a story for me. The letter I wrote to Stu for publication in the TPC I consider to be straight forward giving a correct acount of what realy happened during thier visit and who made it possible for them to get the story. Telling the truth is never ranting or raving

Maybe Stu and Stella should be made to understand, the only thing that is going to bring peace and understading is the publication of my letter in the TPC. Over the last couple of years I have wasted enough time with Stu and PAC, trying settle this matter behind the scenes, even trying to talk to Stu about the matter at Hershey. The only thing that has resulted from this is a good kick in the teeth.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/6 20:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
John/Packard53 -

Let me say, for the benefit of all, that you had also copied me on your "Letter to the Editor", and I found nothing harsh or ranting about it. I see no reason why your letter couldn't have been published - except, perhaps, that some people don't want to admit that they were in the wrong. (And I've seen some real nasty stuff get published in the local papers.)

After the self-serving alternate "Letter to the Editor" that PAC wrote for you (clearly hoping you would sign-off and shut-up), I can understand how you might not trust anyone to write the story for you. While some people don't like seeing their dirty laundry aired in public, that wouldn't have happened if they hadn't tried to sweep things under the rug or, better still, if they hadn't pushed the envelope too far to begin with.

I had been steadily losing interest in that club for over a decade, and given the club's refusal to print your fully-reasonable "Letter to the Editor", I decided to let my PAC membership lapse for good last year - even though I consider myself a mere, dues-paying subscriber. In view of situations like this, I don't know why anyone would allow themselves to be interviewed by anyone from such a club for any article.

Of course, if you simply wanted to get an article published, you could do it right here and get a lot better exposure. I know it has taken a lot of work on your part to write that article, but I bet it will be a much more complete and accurate view of Brad's life and involvement with Packards as aboth dealer and enthusiast. Yet, I suspect that PAC and the Blonds will come off looking awfully bad if you simply tell the whole truth - even without one iota of ranting.

Posted on: 2007/3/6 22:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Brian/John, What a splendid idea that John write the Brad Berry story and put it online here. It would get more exposure than on any other Packard website and in time more exposure than even if it were published in the TPC.

Posted on: 2007/3/7 9:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
CLIPPER47: I will let in a little secret, plese don't tell anyone else. In the latter part of last year Big Kevin made a public offer to me in the AACA to write a story about Brad, and he would publish on this web site. At that time I publically acepted the offer.

I have been working on the story in spits and spurts, as I have had time. I am hoping that I have the story complete by July of this year. The story isn't just going to be about my relationship with Brad or the good times we had. The story will aslo included what the money from Brad's estate has done for the comunity of Jersey Shore.

Not to give away any important deetails of what is in my story. Here is something I would like to tell everyone. Stu Blond started of his story by stating that Stella and him visited Brad on Saturday. The actual day they cam to visit was on Sunday, because Brad in 25 years had never closed the gas station on Saturday for anyone. The closing of the gas station on a Saturday never happend until long after the Blonds had made thier visit.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/3/8 20:47
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved