Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
239 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 238

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

HELP: Generator and Timing Chain 1927 8 Cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

SSMcDonald
See User information
Series 3, Model 343, 8 cyl engine (#223291C): I did the unforgivable and pulled the bronze sleeve fitting out with my generator. It was really stuck! That dropped the sprocket and the timing chain. So I have now removed the headlamps and radiator and am now stuck at removing the lower fan belt pulley. It is getting much harder to remove as I ease it out with a puller. 1. It's not attached to the timing chain cover is it? I'd hate to break that cover. Problem two just occurred for which I walked away and am writing this inquiry. While using the puller, this fan belt pulley rotated. I heard a click and the pulley will not rotate back to the marks I had installed to protect the chain's location. Apparently the timing chain moved. So now I think I face retiming the engine, that is if I can remove the pulley and cover behind the pulley. I have the 1922-28 service manual, but it is not a great help. My email is Navy65@windstream.net if you would have suggestions that you might not want in the forum (other than "you dummy!")

Posted on: 2012/9/13 15:42
 Top  Print   

Re: HELP: Generator and Timing Chain 1927 8 Cylinder
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Oh brother.

Gee, I think you could have fished the dumb thing back into place with a coat hanger and a drift pin.

Anyway, it sounds like the damper is pulling against the bronze sleeve which is gives an impression of movement. There are also fiber spacers in there as well. I've seen those things so stuck that the motor comes apart with the damper stuck onto the crankshaft.

Step one is to get the pulley off then soak the darn thing. If the pulley is stuck, apply force with the puller and carefully heat the thing. As I recall there are two 5/16-24 screw holes to be used for removing the pulley. I had a home made deal for those pulleys (sic).

For future reference, if the gear falls into the motor it is probably easier to pull the pan and coax it back into place. As long as the motor isn't turned you can't put the thing together a tooth off.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 17:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved