Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

TxGoat, Frogmagic, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Protect Yourselves & Bumpers while Lifting your Packards!
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe only problem with the electric and hydraulic jacks is possibility of them getting wet in the trucnk or use during rain.

Battery operated hand drills are often discarded when batteries go bad. Problem is finding a 12v such drill. Makitia made a 9v and i think i've even seen a few 6, 8 and 18v deills. Pull out the battery and wire it for a cigarette liter. I don't carry one in the trunk yet but need to. Should work great with a reduction gear jack but i havn't tried that yet either. If the electric drill gets wet then the hand crank is always the option.

We need to find more uses for discarded battery operated drills. they are powerfull and can be rewired for a cigarrette liter.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 7:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Your Trolley Jack looks just like the one I bought from Harbour Freight except mine is trimed in red where your's is blue. I got rubber wheel chocks from H-F as well. I keep it in it's box in the trunk - may fit behind the spare.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 14:32
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Packard V8,

Great idea,,and you can make voltage regulators for cheap, for lower or higher voltage drills. Up the voltage for 18v drills and lower it for lower voltages.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 15:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
A Packard has a large enough trunk to carry a full size "Smart Car" but who wants to leave baby on the side of the road while looking for help.

Resolving the jack issue is up high on my list.

I used a small floor jack when I changed the rear tires on my Packard and I had blocks for the space between the frame just in front of the rear wheels and the top of the jack fully released, which just barely provided enough lift to clear a rear wheel and get them off. I hunted through my garage for something just the right size that wouldn't squirt out the side or let the frame slip off.

Front wheels are not a problem.

Having vowed not to do that again I am still looking for the best light weight jack to carry in the trunk.

I thought possibly I could find a heavy scissors type jack and modify it with a larger base and a top piece that would not let the frame slip off. Maybe even put it together with bolts.

In my youth I had plenty of problems with bumper jacks and the wheel chocks are a must remembering many a bent bumper jack after the car rolls a little.

I also carry a small cheap tool kit in all my old cars, and a spare fan belt. The tool kit has ratchet wrench sockets in SAE and metric. And I bought these kits from a surplus store and even have one under the back seat of my Model T Ford.

I also carry small fire extinguishers (I found some Halon type surplus). If you get an engine fire the dry chemical type extinguisher will cause more damage than the fire.

Last time I used the tool kit was to replace a battery in my modern car which went suddenly dead at the grocery store a couple of weeks ago.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/9/19 15:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I finally located the thread where I pictured the Chevy jack.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=979&forum=2&post_id=7383#forumpost7383

It fits neatly behind the spare tire alongside the box with the fuel pump, water pump and spare fan belts.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 23:07
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved