Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1956 speedometer problems
Home away from home
Home away from home

happy
See User information
I say one again it's time to ask:"ask the man who owns one". Car is a 1956 400 hundred bought as a running car needing brakes - it did. Fixed brakes, floor boards, gas tank, fuel pump/carb etc, plus new interior. Finally got it out on the road this year to a local car show (display only). First time out speedometer was all over the map. Got it home, pulled cable, cleaned and lubed cable. Second time out acted the same way and the needle broke. Bought a used unit, spun with drill when received, worked okay. Pulled instrument panel, cleaned gauges/glass etc. Installed replacement speedometer, started acting funny. Seems as if the glass face was interfering with the needle. Pulled instrument panel cluster with speedometer installed. If speedometer screws to cluster are snugged up needle sticks, if screws are loosened needle works most of the time but will sometimes stick. I do not want to put it back into the car until I am sure it will work properly. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 9:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 speedometer problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting there is that much variation. That hasn't seemed to be a usual occurrence.

I'd check to make sure the steel back cover is not bent or the mechanism mounting screw locations are not distorted. It almost sounds as if something is interfering in some way as to be tilting the mechanism. One unlikely possibility unless it was removed but perhaps the glass has shifted? If all checks OK, I would think the easiest repair would be to space the entire unit back slightly.

If you decide to do that then suggest some stiff gasket material and cut a gasket the entire shape of the housing. Cut the inside to match leaving just a quarter inch or so all around to prevent a light leak.

Don't forget to put a drop or two of oil in the oil hole to saturate the felt leading to the sleeve and input bushing.

Posted on: 2012/10/15 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved