Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

bkazmer, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 -356 engine with 1954 distributor !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Just opened my 1940 356 engines distributor to replace points and found out the distributor is actually form a 1954 Packard! Distributor uses same cap and rotor but different points, the condense I'm not sure about. Any advice on this? Getting 54 points is not a problem, what seems to be a problem is setting the timing. My past experience with distributors is just loosing the tightening bolt and rotating the distributor to get the correct advance was simple. In this 54 distributor the tightening flange is fixed to the distributor outer case. This flange has two bolt holes for two tightening bolts one hole is round the other is elongated. So to adjust the timing, only one bolt can be installed in the elongated hole this is how it was done by the previous owner and the amount of adjustment is only what is allowed by the elongated hole for the second tightening bolt.
Am I missing anything on adjusting the timing with this distributor?
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/11/20 14:21
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 -356 engine with 1954 distributor !
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I cannot speak to the technicalities of using the 54 distributor, however should you wish to obtain a 356 distributor, I should have one here...there are two numbers, one is 40-42, the other is 46-50 if i recall correctly. Might be worth getting an opinion as to what the change(difference) was and if either may be better for your engine, or more original.

Posted on: 2012/11/20 14:41
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 -356 engine with 1954 distributor !
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bill Butterworth
See User information
Problem solved! Was advised the timing adjustment on a 54 distributor is by loosing the screw on the rod that connects the vacuum advance to the distributor outer body. The rod even has a calibrated scale once you look close. Will stick with this distributor for the time being as it seems to work well. Thanks for the advice and offers.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 20:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved