Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 191

TxGoat, Pack120c, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 Volt Generator - Regulator chat
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
A while back I posted something about 6 Volt Regulators and here's a follow-up.

About the time it was getting dark enough to come home from work in my 54 Packard Cavalier with the headlights on, I had noticed the GEN Light not going completely off for a few seconds after starting, and then one night after I shut off the engine the light stayed on. The voltage regulator cutout contacts had welded.

I subsequently found a proper new after-market regulator on eBay and then met up with Jason Smith (on the Packard Forum) who has a business, plugged herewith

Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
16574 S. Bauer Rd
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
www.aerrebuild.com
toll-free: 1-866-228-0218

So I bought a proper new, old-stock Delco Remy regulator for my car and a set of brushes for the generator as well as other rebuild parts such as bearings.

There was an audible buzzing sound coming from the generator for most of the year I have owned my Packard.

With the new regulator in place I was again driving home from work with the lights, radio, and heater running and the GEN light again came on.

The short story is: two of the segments on the commutator were loose and the winding had come loose at these segments.

There was substantial arcing at the brushes until they became worn down, whereupon they flip out of their guides probably from vibration.

So Jason above, supplied me with a rebuilt Armature which looks real nice and the commutator is smooth as glass.

The generator is easy to work on if you like doing your own work.

Two long bolts separate the front end plate which retains the armature in a ball bearing, the Field core which has the brush holders all built in and the back end plate which has a bushing for the armature shaft.

One single nut removes the pulley, then a spacer. You have to tap the armature shaft out of the ball bearing which is retained in the cast aluminum end without damaging it.

The ball bearing comes out with three screws and the re-assembly is in reverse. There is a smaller spacer on the armature inside that you need to capture and re-use.

The generator used with the 1954 models all appear to be Delco Remy, rated at 45 Amps, 6 Volt, Positive ground.

The regulator is specific to positive ground which is determined by the composition of the contact material

Most aftermarket regulators have a mystery part number for which you need the makers catalog to cross reference it.

If you do it yourself, Jason has ALL the parts in stock. I believe he does complete rebuilds for starters and generators as a business.

I actually found him while blogging on this site.

I don't know of anyone in Phoenix AZ that can do the work or has the parts.

I recommend to get a small mirror and look into the backside, open end of the generator with the engine running and check for arcing that is more than little tiny occasional sparks where the brush's touch the armature (Watch out for the fan). Check the wear on the brush's.

It may be good to remove the generator (three bolts, three wires) and inspect this close up.

I would expect the rear bushing to go first. The generator should get a drop of oil from time to time in both oilers but just a drop as you don't want it on the commutator or brush's.

I disconnect the battery and re-polerize the generator just in case before I start up after a removal.

Jim

Posted on: 2012/12/24 18:16
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved