Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

29- 640 Club Sedan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

5587 - Insufficient Leg Room
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Was wondering if its just me or were people of the mid-fifties built differently? I wish I had more leg room. I'm cramped when I drive honestly and wonder if you all with power seats feel similarly?

Can someone also give be a length from the brake pedal to the front edge of the front seat (in its all the way back position).

Thank you.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:54
 Top  Print   

Re: 5587 - Insufficient Leg Room
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
I'm 6' 1" and won't tell you what the lying scale tells me!

Posted on: 2012/12/27 20:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
I'm also 6' 1" and with the seat all the way back in my Patrician, it was really too far as I had to bend forward to adjust the heater controls or reach for the garage opener on the dash. I haven't put the motors back in the seat track yet so I can't give you the measurement you request as I have moved the seat forward by twirling the rubber connector between the "transmission" and the motor.
I moved it forward enough for me to reach the ignition switch and other controls. I've been meaning to put them in, maybe this will be the incentive I need. Especially if I get frustrated with my '51.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 21:19
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Kevin,

Have you done anything with your seat angle yet, per our discussion in Laughlin?

Craig

Posted on: 2012/12/27 21:23
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Seat all the way back 17-1/2 inches from lower edge of seat to brake pedal rubber. That is almost a level horizontal measurement. HOWEVER, my car has a Ford brake pedal which (IIRC) sets about an inch higher than the oem Packard pedal. (56 Exec).

I have no leg room complaints. My complaint is that the steering wheel sets about 3 to 4 inches too close to the dash. I wear a 34 to 35 inseam (Levis) and a 33-34 shirt sleeve. So i have rather long arms.

I'm guessing your problem is not leg room but rather steering wheel position. It's too close to the dash for me.

I find the leg room and leg positioning quite comfortable in my 56 Exec. I placed a 1/2" or maybe 5/8 block under the rear seat mounts to get the seat to set more streight up insted of the OEM laid back ghetto crusier position.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 21:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My seats are different but I think the carpet over the seat motors is pretty close to the same location as a regular seat front. Mine measures about 17" from the bottom of pedal to the carpet. I'm 5"10 and have the seat about an inch forward and about an inch up. Unfortunately there is no lengthening the travel on the tracks. Like Keith, my issue is more with the large wheel.

One nice thing is the seat reinforcement structures under the body runs longitudinal. Should have plenty of room to drill new holes an inch or so back which would be the only way to lengthen the distance. Carpet might be an issue. It would have to be cut in back and patched in front but the bare strip under the seat should still be covered. Not sure about clearance for an underseat heater though.

Downside would be seat would probably have to be moved to let rear seat passengers in and out but should be doable otherwise.

Posted on: 2012/12/27 21:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Craig.......I've forgotted the conversation.

Posted on: 2012/12/28 16:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I'm 6'4"+ and wear 37" sleeves.....as well as excess safety padding here and there.

I'd like for the seat to go back say 2 more inches--but I'd really like the wheel to be small enough to go through an open door. Definitely a pre power steering wheel.....

In pushing seat back do not forget the "B" pillar which interferes with easy seating goals.....different on a hardtop....

Posted on: 2012/12/28 17:55
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
KevinAZ Quote:
Craig.......I've forgotted the conversation.

Roy Crunk pointed out that your seat backs are adjustable. If you tilt the seat back forward, there's a screw or bolt adjustment that's revealed below that will let you set the angle.

I pointed out that you can shim the front of the seat frame to floor to tilt the seat bottom backwards. Your 400 front seat bottom is essentially parallel with the floor. On my Pat the front of the seat is up 1/2in or so. Of course, tilting the whole seat will also tilt the seat back too, perhaps obviating the need for a separate adjustment as described above.

Craig

Posted on: 2012/12/28 18:05
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Was wondering if its just me or were people of the mid-fifties built differently?

First, yes, we've definitely gotten a lot larger in every dimension. Airlines, theaters, mass transit have all had to make more room for our fat rears.

Second, our V8 Packards are an evolution of a body structure designed in the late '40s. Watch a WWII movie. All the actor soldiers (other than John Wayne and Robert Mitchum)are skinny little guys. Pick up an old Springfield or Garand. The stock is sized for little guys with short arms.

Third, It's the inner ear which senses motion. Put the driver's head in a different relationship to the car by moving the seat further back, further down and more tilt really changes the subjective feel of the car.

Fourth, Most cars built today have enough rearward seat travel and tilt so the taller driver's head and shoulder will end up behind the B-pillar. Screws up ingress/egress, side vision, seat belt alignment, but that's the way it's done today.

jack vines

Posted on: 2012/12/29 13:33
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved