Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: painting the 51 200
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
David, good information, keep up the good work, it's looking good.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/1/21 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ok, this comes under the obsessive compulsive category, or maybe I need to get a real life. Got the wheels, fender skirts and splash pans back from the painter today. I had previously bought some masticated rubber from Restoration Specialties, which I cut into 5/8" strips to line the fender skirts. I punched the large holes using a hollow punch, and started out punching the staple holes in the rubber with a leather punch. I made staples using stainless steel safety wire bent into a U shape. When I started I was marking the holes to align with the old staple holes, then punching them. I soon realized that I was more accurate by eyeballing the holes and pushing the staple wire thru the rubber. When I had difficulty, I would push a needle thru the back side. When the wire was all the way thru, I would crimp it with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Anyway, it made a pretty neat job. I'll follow it up with a bit of rubber cement on the ends. See the photos attached. Sure would have been easier with just gluing the rubber on, but where is the fun in that??

Attach file:

jpg  (41.38 KB)
1679_50ff45cfae7ca.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.26 KB)
1679_50ff45fb4285e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.10 KB)
1679_50ff4634356a2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.26 KB)
1679_50ff467948a82.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/1/22 21:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks for these pics and the info David. I'll be attacking the same job sometime soon so very helpful for me.

If you had 'only glued it' then maybe you would have been forever concerned about not doing a proper job! (At least it will never loosen even if the glue eventually fails).

Posted on: 2013/1/22 22:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Larry, some sources state that the masticated (fiber added) rubber is correct, others show the woven material that normally showed up on the hood cowl in the 30-40's cars. Both are available from Restoration Specialties and other vendors. I liked the rubber since it is easier to work with. I'll see if I lose points at Pebble Beach...right.

Posted on: 2013/1/22 23:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I've been off-line for awhile David but started at the front and read about your 51's documented progress all the way from the beginning. The car is coming along nicely and I know that the repairing and repainting is something that you have been working towards for quite some time now so congratulations! It's looking like the classic it deserves to be and one that you will be proud of...well done. On another note, I can't say that I'm jealous of that Winter weather you're having but come summer time, I'd trade this Florida sauna for your summer weather anytime!!!

Posted on: 2013/1/23 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I did the other fender skirt this morning. I modified the technique by punching the large holes first, stretching the rubber as I went. I then put this on the skirt and just pushed the wire staples thru one at a time. Took about 1/4 of the time as yesterday. Plus the rubber stayed nice and snug this time without having to monkey with adjusting it.

FYI Gator, its a dry cold. ..Thanks for all of the comments.

Posted on: 2013/1/23 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Well, we had a hot spell - got up to 48 degrees, so I took the opportunity to do some color sanding while the hose wasn't frozen. Went all over the car with 1500 grit sandpaper. Most of the car is buttery smooth now, with only a few missed spots of orange peel still there. I'll hit it again tomorrow before the next snowstorm on Sunday. If I'm lucky, maybe get to do some buffing.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.21 KB)
1679_5103284ae865c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (58.07 KB)
1679_510328643c0aa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/1/25 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Another wonderful spring day before the next snowstorm. Went out and sanded more on the Packard, using 1200 grit and then 1500. Bought a product by Carborundum that uses the same white polish on all three steps, you just change pads on the adjustable speed buffer. First one is a wool disc, then a yellow foam pad and finally a black dense foam pad. It does polish up nicely and is easy to use - tested it on one fender and a portion of the roof. What I found is that I need to sand more with the 1500 and then 2000. On the black roof you could see occasional sanding marks that didn't show up in the ivory. Maybe I can squeeze one more day of sanding before it gets cold again.....

Posted on: 2013/1/26 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Had 1" of snow last night, but it warmed up to 39 degrees with sun, so back outside for more color sanding and buffing. The paint is finally polishing up nicely. A few more days and I'll start putting the chrome back on. Anxious to get it back to where it doesn't look like a plucked chicken.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Had 1" of snow last night, but it warmed up to 39 degrees with sun, so back outside for more color sanding and buffing. The paint is finally polishing up nicely. A few more days and I'll start putting the chrome back on. Anxious to get it back to where it doesn't look like a plucked chicken.

Posted on: 2013/1/28 19:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved