Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Anyone in either the San Fernando Valley or Los Angeles with a 48-50?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Hello all. I'm looking for a friendly local Packard enthusiast who wouldn't mind showing me their 48-50 Packard, and letting me test drive it. If it's a Custom 8 model, all the better. I'm looking at a Custom 8 to purchase right now, but since the one I'm planning on is a purchase from a distance, I'd like to know how they drive.

Hopefully, there's someone local either in the San Fernando Valley, or somewhere within an hour's driving distance from me, here in LA. Please send me a message via the forum board.

Thanks, and Happy New Years!

Evan
North Hollywood, CA

Posted on: 2012/12/31 3:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Anyone in either the San Fernando Valley or Los Angeles with a 48-50?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I have a 1950 Packard Deluxe 8 here in the San Diego area, but it is presently in the paint shop. It sounds like you are in the same situation I was when I bought my Packard. I would like to offer as much help as I can at this time.

In my situation the car I bought was in Las Vegas, a half day drive away from me. It had many photos in Ebay and lots of description. I also talked to the seller about the car. I was too lazy to go there and look at the car so I bought it based on my trust of the seller. He said the car could be driven to my home from Nevada. What a mistake! The seller apparently got a car that didn't run and mickey moused it just enough to flip it for a big profit. The car could not only not be driven home I barely got it from the street in front of my house into the garage. When I got it drivable I only made it about 30 miles before it died. I have written up most of the details of my purchase and posted it in the Packard owner registry. The car was yellow when I got it.

In spite of my disappointment I continued to fix the problems with the car over the past 3 years and now am on the cosmetic parts. After the paint and chrome work I will have about $45,000 in the car! It does drive nicely however and hopefully it will look good too. I love the car, but just paid way too much for it because of all the problems I had to fix. It would have been much cheaper to buy a totally restored car.

As to your question, the Packard drives like a 1950s luxury car. It is smooth and fairly quiet. It handles well for a 63 year old heavy sedan, particularly after I spent nearly $5000 on the suspension, wheels, and Diamondback radials. Steering is light on the road but super heavy and slow when parking. Visibility to the right rear is limited unless you get a good outside mirror. It has Ultramatic which makes it easy to drive on tours and in traffic. However the acceleration with Ultrmatic is "leasurely". If you want performance you should get a car with stick shift. Also overdrive would be nice if you want to go at full freeway speed. My car cruises at 60-65 mph but it has the shorter stroke 288 engine. The bigger engines are more sensitive to high rpm due to the higher piston speed.

If you still wish to drive a 1950 Packard a couple months down the road I would be happy to let you try mine. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Fred Puhn
National City, CA
(619)475-1155
fredpuhn@cox.net

Posted on: 2013/1/1 13:39
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks for your description Fred! I'll give you a call, as I'm on vacation this week. Appreciate your comments.

Evan

Posted on: 2013/1/1 14:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

charles craig
See User information
I am in Victorville, thats on thr way to Las Vegas on I-15. have two Customs that are for sale. one runs and drove it home from New Mexico bout 10 years ago. other got in julesberg CO , want 4000 for it and 8000 for the other. call 760 245 3402 ask for Chuck.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 8:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved