Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

cleaning engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The old product for cleaning out engines and rads is no longer available. It was composed of equal amounts of oxalic acid and soda. I keep reading that the old kit contained baking soda. I find this hard to believe. I believe it is actually washing soda. I posted this for our resident chemist to respond. I am going to use oxalic acid to clean the engine and rad in the near future. I do need to verify that washing soda is the other half of the concoction. Am I correct?

Posted on: 2013/1/6 21:40
 Top  Print   

Re: cleaning engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All you need is something alkaline to neutralize any residual oxalyic acid and be otherwise harmless to the materials of construction. Either sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) or sodium carbonate (sal soda or washing soda) would do just fine. If you're really in doubt about the efficiency of the neutralization or whether you might have used an excess of sodium carbonate or bicarbonate, a simple litmus paper test of the last rise water is all you need but that's probably overkill, a couple of water flushes after the bicarb or carbonate should be more than adequate.

Posted on: 2013/1/6 23:32
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved