Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

Packard Don, DJP-37-120, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 S8 factory water jacket mod?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear All,

Has anyone ever seen a water jacket (water chamber cover) like the one pictured on the left in the attached SL page below?

I am getting a new repro water jacket for the 34 1104. In doing some research, Tom Rassmussen came across this page from a 34 Packard Factory service letter.

Thanks,

Tom

EDIT: The service letter is 8-15. It is present here. Note the scan is too light to see the details of the 'new' water jacket.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.55 KB)
333_50f3f5e127261.jpg 777X1104 px

Posted on: 2013/1/14 7:11
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 S8 factory water jacket mod?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm aware of that service letter and have seen plenty of 34 water jacket plates but never seen one of the revised form (with the nozzles or spouts as they call them).

The oil cooler mounting on the water jacket is a 1934-only feature; you often see that folks have eliminated the oil cooler and just put a plate over the opening. Not a good idea because if you study the water flow route you'll see that the water has to actually enter the cooler in order to exit into the rest of the jacket plate, at least this is true for the earlier style jacket plate. Blocking off the opening significantly inhibits the water flow thru the jacket.

Posted on: 2013/1/14 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
The oil cooler mounting on the water jacket is a 1934-only feature; you often see that folks have eliminated the oil cooler and just put a plate over the opening. Not a good idea because if you study the water flow route you'll see that the water has to actually enter the cooler in order to exit into the rest of the jacket plate, at least this is true for the earlier style jacket plate. Blocking off the opening significantly inhibits the water flow thru the jacket.

The new jacket has the plate, so the oil cooler will continue to be used.

It is interesting that they went to the trouble of designing the new jacket and apparently rarely, if ever, using it.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/1/14 12:36
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That is interesting, isn't it Tom. I forget the date of the Service Letter and how late in the model year run it was. Also somewhat interesting that the first use was in the factory-reconditioned blocks and that came before the running change in production. And to make it more interesting, you wonder what prompted them to make the change as all the 34s I know of run the earlier style plate and I don't know of anyone who has problems attributable to the plate. Now problems with the oil cooler core is another story - there is a Service Letter about an improved design core but I don't know if I've ever seen one of those or not, nor how it differed from the first style. I went thru one leak of the original core (which was hell to clean up from, what with all that oil in the cooling system) and replaced my core with a length of finned flexible high pressure tubing. Pictures enclosed if I can find them.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.59 KB)
177_50f451f9aec18.jpg 1113X801 px

Posted on: 2013/1/14 13:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved