Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

bkazmer, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is it???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
What is it??? I have the numbers from my 1949 4dr. Packard and I would like the "collective knowledge" to comment on them.

On the driver side of the fire wall numbers stamped on the screwed on plaque is as follows:
2392 I3589

The body number on a plate screwed just below the heater core shell on the passenger side of the engine compartment is as follows:
2392 13451

Stamped on the firewall of the engine compartment, passenger side in large embossed numbers, is as follows:
9I3424

On the driver side of the engine block is a number as follows:
H-23800

The Packard Model Information is, I think, telling me my 1949 4dr. Packard is as follows:

A Standard Deluxe 8

What is your opinion fellow Packard owners? Am I making the correct assumption or am I wide of the mark?

Thanking you in advance for your comments--they are all appreciated.

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2013/1/16 12:02
 Top  Print   

Re: What is it???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the numbers, I've added them to my database. Sounds like you got it pretty much right except as noted.

You're missing one digit from the motor number.

The small tag and # screwed in on the passenger side near the heater is the number applied by Briggs, the body builder - commonly called the Briggs body number. The number on the vehicle number plate screwed to cowl face in front of the driver is the actual vehicle number. The large embossed number on the cowl is the "thief-proof" or body dash number.

Prior to 1951 it's not uncommon, in fact more common that not, that the Briggs number doesn't match the vehicle number - simply a matter that Packard didn't complete the cars in the same order that Briggs shipped the bodies.

The character you're reading as an "I" is in fact a "1" in the particular font that Packard used. The correct name for the model is an "Eight", 2362-XXXXX would identify the DeLuxe version.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 15:27
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Thank you Owen_Dyneto for the information. I am happy to own any Packard and this one is a very good one. Long in dry storage with low milage, if the gauge is to be believed, the motor is strong, and the body sounder than mine!

May I ask a further question? What is the correct description of it? I want to give it the proper and complete descriptive name when I register it on the Packard Owner Registry. Also, before I register it I will check the motor number again.

I may be a bit thick, but I am slow too!!!

Zougeride
"Ask the man who has one in his garage!!!"

Posted on: 2013/1/17 10:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Without going back to original literature to double-check myself, I believe the proper name for the model is the Packard Eight, and the body style is a touring sedan.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 11:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hello O_D,

I was able to get two numbers off of my '52. Theft proof# B30692 Vehicle# 2562 I3204. I will try to get a clear rubbing of the engine number, as it seems to have worn to where I can't hardly read it anymore. I would enjoy learning the story of my 200.

Thank you,

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/1/17 12:23
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Okay,

Here is what I could read off of my engine, K 218 462. Also got a couple of numbers from my cylinder head, date 2-14-52 head# 426408

-Garrett

Posted on: 2013/1/17 12:59
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the numbers! The only thing I noticed as I enter it into the database is that a few other 2562s with thief-proof numbers in the same general range have far lower vehicle numbers. I don't yet have enough data to speculate on what this might suggest. Only collecting ALOT more data will help us begin to understand some of these apparent anomolies.

Posted on: 2013/1/17 14:20
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved