Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

todd landis, Phat Jonny, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 6 Volt A/C?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Great info on the Fasco Motors. I had looked at their site several times and sure missed that page. Probably moved on too soon when I saw they didn't appear to sell direct.

Looks like they are sold thru some appliance parts places and also some electric motor shops. Many outlets are listed locally -- if they can or will order a single motor on demand. Probably lots of places are located in other towns.

Shaft adapters to 5/16 bore wheels can can be purchased or easily made so certainly worth a look for anyone considering.

Also brings up the question someone asked earlier. With motors apparently available and clutches possibly as well -- why do none of the AC places advertise any kind of 6v conversion capabilities. I'd think the possibility of tacking on an extra fee for supplying a set of instructions and components for one of their stock units would tweak their interest. What part of the big picture are we missing.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:
"What part of the big picture are we missing."

Probably just a very low demand level for 6v AC systems.
The purist is not going to install AC becuse it is not OEM. The less than purist will most likely convert to 12v anyway. Over the last few recent years 6v is becoming, at least for practicle intents and purposes outside of purity, obsolete at best.

A case in point:
I have at least 4 beer cases here of OEM, NOS,NORS as well as good used 6v parts. THE PROBLEM is that if there is just ONE part i don;t have then i'm sunk.

A recent problem that i have told here before:
48 Chief, owned and ridden for 40 years as 6v. I was literally FORCED to a 12v conversion about 2 years ago because there is no longer a RELIABLE 6v battery available(special sized battery). That is not just MY analysis of the problem but a rather wide spread consensus of the INdian world.

I have ran into other more minor problems relative to 6v REPOP replacement parts. Problems that simply did not exist 10 years ago or were just headache problems that at that time COULD be oversome. But NOT now.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You make a good point about demand -- but there is obviously some as evidenced by all the posts on various make forums asking about it. I'd bet if there was something appropriate that was proven in an aftermarket design of the era and advertised then it would sell. Granted not in huge quantities but enough.

I think it would be in an AC company interest to pick a classic old time hang on design style that was universally available and do a bit of research. They could then say if you buy our xxx unit then you can buy xyz motor and xyz clutch and convert the unit over & here is how.

Better yet would be if they would pick one of their units and do the engineering and stock a few of the pieces. Then they could advertise a kit for their xxx unit and make a few more bucks. I'd bet they could more than cover their costs with a kit.

If they were worried about warranty they could probably exclude if buyer did the work or else add on a fee to convert or send somewhere for the work before it was shipped.

There might even be an opportunity for a third party or even someone doing it already but way under the radar.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
since Packard originally supplied a 6V AC in 40-42, it did and can work. That's really not debateable. It had issues as the first of its kind. The compressor was entirely mechanical - no voltage issue. I don't think many of us drive our Packards in the snow, so the seasonal belt removal is not such a big deal. The clutch or other means of preventing icing is the issue. The "semi-purist" issue is the appearance of the compressor. There was a good exchange on this in an old post.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 11:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I remember those exchanges. There's also threads on AACA re the prewar compressors and one posters research in trying to find something similar looking. He found a good possibility but also found it's now now obsolete. He was or is considering trying to repro prewar units but last I remember the compressor was still very much a search in progress.

Today I don't think going without a clutch is an option unless one tries to gather and adapt or cobble together some of the old temp or evaporator freeze control devices. Those are getting about as hard to come by as compressors so probably not in the offing.

The purists would not consider AC anyway but as Keith said, the not so strict might consider options and choose comfort over purity. With something halfway appropriate looking who knows.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm thinking a tensioning idler may be an alternative to a clutch if moved by a 6V motor and mounted unobtrusively low.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 12:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
I'm thinking a tensioning idler may be an alternative to a clutch if moved by a 6V motor and mounted unobtrusively low.

Possible I guess but kind of depends on how the drive is done. If trying to duplicate or use the prewar drives coming off the fan pulley, might not be enough room. I expect the purists would want that approach. A compressor clutch would work though. IIRC one of the posters with prewar AC is currently running a Sanden with a 12v battery in the trunk working the clutch. Might be interesting to see if his clutch works on 6v.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
I agree 110% with HH on the market for a universal 6 volt system. I base my support on the fact that regardless of what position a purist takes in the matter, when it comes to the owner of any Packard built from the first year they offered the option of A/C to the last 6 volt '55, they cannot deny that it was available regardless of whether it was factory installed or dealer installed and since it was "available" then in my opinion as the car ages and its A/C parts fail, then it can consist of component upgrades or replacement parts that arent necessarily manufactured by "frigidare". Even if you can't see it, what's the difference in eqipping the car with an electric fuel pump when we all know it didn't come with one. I personally believe that the idea of someone offering a fully functional 6 volt A/C system would be a lot more popular and easier than converting to 12 volts. Apparently some clutches can operate fine on 6 volts, apparently its conceivable to include a compressor on a single drive belt, apparently adequate wattage can be obtained from either a high output generator or 6 volt alternator and from all indications, 6 volt dual shaft blower motors are available from Fasco however, I did request additional specifcations on their dual shaft 2907 and 2909 motors such as shaft diameter, number of speeds, dimensions, etc. And again, There may be a chance that the Fasco motors could be operated at variable speeds with the installation of a rheostat type switch. Anyway, for me the 6 volt option is what I've been waiting on and it's getting close.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Gator, you captured the gist of what I was trying to say. Look at an original prewar AC set-up. Essentially all the stuff in the trunk is already hidden behind the sheet metal box. The underhood appearance is changed a lot if there is a modern cylindrical case compressor and alternator. An old looking case with modern guts I'm OK with

Posted on: 2013/1/24 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Having air conditioned my car last year (relatively easy since it's 12 volts) can I point out the other problem with a/c?

Brackets.

I had a hell of a time getting them made, then remade. For the v-8s, I can't urge too strongly that you get the set from the Studebaker guy in New Braunfels? Not free (nor should they be) but they save all kinds of time, both in looking and in installing......

If the straight eights could use universal fittings, perhaps someone here could make this happen?

Posted on: 2013/1/24 16:04
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved