Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 190

Don B, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 6 Volt A/C?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think it was AL that has an aftermarket style bracket for the passenger side of the V8 engine that was easy to duplicate for a reasonable amount. Believe he consulted with his machinist last year and posted a possible price. There might still need to be a bit of verification on compressor and idler mount holes before any were made though since it was designed for an old compressor, not a Sanden. Since we have the room, my preference would be for something along those lines instead of the one mentioned for the low hood Studebaker Hawks. The Stude guy does repro the additional pulley and is worth considering instead of the extra PS pulley.

IIRC, there was a mention by another poster here that one of the AC companies may be working with him on another possible V8 solution.

Since the inline 8 brackets have varied considerably, it might be nice to concentrate on just one. Several approaches are seen in various photos posted. To cover most bases and still look halfway proper, a version of the prewar original which mounted on top of head using the studs might be nice. That might cover more bases than the later one designed around the huge rotary compressor. Since that over the head type may present problems with longer studs and head gaskets, perhaps something that looks similar but mounts using more easily removed water pump, manifold or fuel pump bolts could be considered.

The inline drive pulley is still an issue though. AFAIK, no one has repros and used are also in short supply. The only current new approach I've heard of is the complete Ford damper changeover with additional pulleys Turbopackman mentioned. Don't know if anyone ever tried one though.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 16:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

bkazmer wrote:
Gator, you captured the gist of what I was trying to say. Look at an original prewar AC set-up. Essentially all the stuff in the trunk is already hidden behind the sheet metal box. The underhood appearance is changed a lot if there is a modern cylindrical case compressor and alternator. An old looking case with modern guts I'm OK with

Yes I know what you're saying but what I'm saying is that I'm not a fanatical purist to the point where I can't live with the looks of a modern compressor if it will work on 6 volts. It would absolutely be great if a guy could find a case that he could modify with modern guts but I'm too old to wait on one to show up at my door. I would rather paint a modern compressor black and stick a "Frigidare" decal on it and pretend it's original. the old compressors were huge and took up a lot of room and I'm not particularly crazy about the way they mounted on the straight 8's anyway but if that's the only place they can mount because of the trans cooler then that's where I'll put it. The V-8 compressor and bracket are clean and considering what was available in the day, the sraight 8 location isn't really that bad either.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.17 KB)
4000_5101c0f58aa1b.jpg 900X675 px

Posted on: 2013/1/24 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
That looks like a late 60's to mid 70's Ford Idler pulley on the V-8

Posted on: 2013/1/24 18:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is that a Nordstrom bracket and is there another site for info? If Nordstrom, it looks to be a different compressor bkt than he shows on a Stude site as used on Golden Hawks. On Hawks he puts the compressor where the generator would normally go. That one above is nice because it doesn't bolt to the thermostat hsng.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.98 KB)
209_5101caa4d22bb.jpg 432X328 px

Posted on: 2013/1/24 18:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Is that a Nordstrom bracket and is there another site for info?

Nothing much to go on Howard but I did find a few more photos. All 5 were posted at a site called Packard Engineering Discussion Group. Link included.

http://packardengineering.multiply.com/photos/album/7/1956-Packard-Air-Conditioning#

Attach file:

jpg  (5.05 KB)
4000_5101db8831b93.jpg 160X120 px

Posted on: 2013/1/24 20:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. It does look like Nordstrom's bracket slightly changed and turned upside down from the Stude application. I see the photos appear to have been posted by Yesterday's Radio. Perhaps Jerry has more information.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Back to 6v blower motros and AC clutches for a momment:

Someone mentioned shimming a 12v AC clutch to allow 6v operation. That mite be an excellent work-around, i don't know. IIRC there is an 'air gap' specified for AC clutches that the shimming mite compromise and thus compromise some other functionality of the clutch. More research would be needed.

HOWEVER, with all of the various jerry rigging discussed over the years noone that i can remeber has ever brought up the possibility of rewinding the clutch coil for 6v windings. Ditto for the blower motors.

Rewinding of coils (armature, fields, etc) is not something i am (NOT) proficient enuf at to advise. But i KNOW it CAN be done.

Very popular during the hobby slot car era of the 1960's and 1970's there were many home-brew slot car racers that did rewinds on motor armatures. i think they rewound for something 10v instead of the standard 12v of the slot car rage. Mura slot car motors is one that i recall from memmory.

Posted on: 2013/1/24 20:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
[quote]Back to 6v blower motros and AC clutches for a momment:

Someone mentioned shimming a 12v AC clutch to allow 6v operation. That mite be an excellent work-around, i don't know. IIRC there is an 'air gap' specified for AC clutches that the shimming mite compromise and thus compromise some other functionality of the clutch. More research would be needed.

HOWEVER, with all of the various jerry rigging discussed over the years noone that i can remeber has ever brought up the possibility of rewinding the clutch coil for 6v windings. Ditto for the blower motors.[quote]

Keep those options on the back burner for now. A 6 volt compressor clutch source is apparently still a myth but I'm not finished with the search yet.

On the blower motors. Fasco Motor responded and informed me that they are no longer supplying the 6 volt DC dual shaft motors that I inquired about but provided me with a contact in Canada that may be able to help. I will make that contact at first opportunity.

Meanwhile, I found these folks:
http://www.dcm-mfg.com/pages/about.php

They list 6 volt DC dual shaft and single shaft heater/blower motors on the site but the response I got back when I inquired was rather interesting. Evidently they do not stock them but will manufacture them if the demand is there. The guys name is Fred and I explained to him that he was in a position to be the sole source provider and that he would have the market sewn up. This is his response.

Hi Gary, we currently supply some 6 volt axial radiator fans to a couple of customers. I'm sure we could supply a 6 volt dual shaft motor. If we were to do so, I would want to know the following:

1. How many per year could I sell?
2. target retail price?
3. multiple speeds?
4. single speed a non-starter?
5. overall length from shaft end to shaft end
6. max amp draw from blower motor allowed, with headlights and other draw on the generator.

Thanks,
Fred.

I told him I didn't have most of the answers but that these motors didn't vary a whole lot from around 1940 to 1955 and that he could probably satisfy the needs of just about every make of car from this era with one universal dual shaft and one universal single shaft motor as long as the shaft diameters were at least 1/4" and were long enough that they could be "cut to fit". I also told him they needed to be multiple 2 or 3 speed motors.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 14:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is too bad about the motor. The cynical side of me says I wouldn't hold my breath there will be enough volume to get the manufacturing guy's attention very long -- but we can hope.

Going along with Keith's question on rewinding, I wonder if this or a place like it could or would redo a standard 12v dual shaft for a reasonable price. Guess it would depend on the type and construction of motor.http://jpintoweb.com/Home_Page.php

Posted on: 2013/1/25 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
AFAIK blower motors are PERMANANT magnet electric motors which would only require an armature rewind. Again, i am no expert on this rewinding. But as i remember the rewinding of armatures (sot car motors 12v perm mag) was often rewound in rather simple home basement type hobby shops.

DIY reweinding mite not be for everyone but i would conjecture that rewinding is rather lite bench work requireing inexpensive special tools, a few a best and perhaps none.

IIRC the rewound slut car motors were somewhat short life. Perhaps reducing service life by about 20%. Something i would consider realistic.

Bottom line: IT mite be faster,easier and cheaper in the long run and short to DIY ones own rewind of a motor rather than trying to beg some fat vendor to import some from China-Rica.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 18:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved