Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 door strike plates
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I've pulled the aluminum door strike plates on my 51 200 to clean them up after the car was painted. I noticed that the inverse "V" teeth are worn. On ebay, there are three of them for sale, but the teeth are replaceable plastic rather than cast aluminum. First question does the wear make a difference? Second, will the later version with the plastic work? thanks

Posted on: 2013/2/2 12:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 door strike plates
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Your striker plates shouldn't be aluminum. They are die cast zinc. Anyway, the nylon piece is the way to go, if they ever get excessive wear you don't have to replace the whole unit.

Posted on: 2013/2/2 14:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Oh you are correct - they are zinc compound, not aluminum. Soft, but not that soft. I'll have to try Ebay again - the ones I saw closed several hours ago. thanks

Posted on: 2013/2/2 17:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
some of the striker plates where one piece, the teeth where part of the casting, my 54s and a plastic insert, years ago i made an end mill to cut a chunk of teflon to make the plastic peaces, i cut a section about 12 inches long, and milled the length with the teeth, then cut them down to the thickness about 1/2 inch.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Pretty neat - you would't have any left by any chance would you? I plan on switching the the newer style, as the all metal ones are pretty chewed up.

Posted on: 2013/2/3 14:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several places have inserts so you could do one or probably even make up a set -- packards1, max, kanter all have new.

Since your striker already has messed up teeth, wonder how hard it would be to mill those off to accept a new factory nylon insert instead of making that part or if that would be less than buying a used or new complete assy.

I don't know if all of the metal strikers had the thin plate covering the teeth. If so, that slight difference in thickness might be something to work around if using the factory item.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.89 KB)
209_510ec9ba3f3ce.jpg 288X693 px

Posted on: 2013/2/3 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here's a photo of the driver side strike plate. As you can see, it is badly worn. I have managed to get some used ones that have the nylon insert, so maybe I can improve the operation. thanks for the info.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.05 KB)
1679_510f1aca9cf84.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/2/3 21:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved