Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Still have fuel problems
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd put the thermostat back in, running at colder temperatures has an adverse affect on combustion efficiency and may (or may not) be the cause of the sooty plugs. Easy enough to check the vacuum lines on the vacuum booster pump; remove both lines and idle the engine. The side of the booster that draws vacuum should be routed to the windshield wiper, the other end to the intake manifold.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks, I had used a sealer to fill the small pits around the thermostat and was lazy taking it back apart to do it correctly. Thanks for the description on the tubing hook up, I wasn't sure, but now I know.
I ran the Clipper more today and the temp never got over 140. So I took off the cap and wow, lots of flow !
I was just talking to my neighbor and he said the same thing about the plugs , that running that cool can affect the engine performance and possibly cause the carbon build up.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 17:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
This week I ran the Clipper and checked out the cooling system. All seemed to be fine. Then I Jacked up the car to check out the rear tire for a slow leak and found it to be leaking around the bead. Not really a problem, I am getting the rims powder coated and putting on new tires, but I wanted to take a drive before I did that.
Well, when I let the car down and tried to start it, no dice! I have the same problem as last year. Car will not stay running- not getting fuel.
I believe now that there is grit in the fuel tank and after sitting all winter it settled and the car ran fine. When I raised the car and lowered it 2 times the grit was stirred up and now the Clipper will not stay running.
I have already had the tank done 2 times, and had it in and out a couple more times to check it out. I am ready to go to an in the trunk fuel cell from Summit Racing.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 15:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Out of curiosity, how full is the tank when you have problems -- over 1/3 -- or 1/4 or less and is the vent hole in the cap open?

Just taking wild guess here but wonder if there is a chance the pickup tube has a hole in it or perhaps with the problem you had the the line fitting last year, maybe the tube was twisted loose and now there is an air leak which uncovers as gas is used.

The typical repair jobs or compounds won't reliably fix those type leaks. As to debris, it is possible some could float into the pickup tube area but would need to be a big chunk to totally block the tube. Doubt there is much dirt with two cleanings. If the tank had some leak repair mixture sloshed inside & there was excess, a chunk breaking off and floating around could do it. If the tank dried flat, some of that excess could run into the triangular depression where the pickup tube ends. That has also been a common failing but usually when that happens the line is totally blocked.

Borrowing one of Ross's photos, here is what the pickup tube inside the tank looks like. Several have had issues with rust pinholes developing in the line at either the top of U bend or the upper one going into the exit fitting. The U top is roughly 1/4 tank and the outlet bend roughly 1/3. Everything is fine until gas drops below the bend level uncovering the hole so pump then sucks air.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.34 KB)
209_5173082da0920.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/4/20 16:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Quote:

WILLIS wrote:
I am ready to go to an in the trunk fuel cell from Summit Racing.

Hey WILLIS,

I installed a fuel cell in my '52 200 and am very pleased with it. Jaz products 16 gallon with a sump and 70-10 ohm sender. Made a wooden base to go around the sump so it sits correctly, got the proper fittings and she was ready to go. I have it venting outside of the car where the gas door is. A plus with the fuel cell is that you can pull up to the pump on either side, just found that out last night.

The pic is of the mock-up...

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (25.52 KB)
3628_51730b403e7d2.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/4/20 16:40
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thanks. I tried putting the pick up point for the fuel line on the drain. That is why I think there is still junk in the tank. I put 10 gallons in the tank and still had the same problem. I figure I have about 7 gallons in the tank, it is not easy for me to drain the tank and dispose of the fuel. I guess it could be filtered and reused.
Originally it the seller told me it had about 2 or 3 gallons in it, really was 8 gallons. I had a difficult time getting rid of the old gas.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Thank you, that is what I am looking to do with the Clipper. What fittings did you use on the sump?
Would you attach a picture of the finished installation?

Posted on: 2013/4/20 16:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Here are some photos I just took. One fitting on the sump is a cap, the other a 90 degree hose barb. And for the vent there is a 90 deg hose barb that I led out to a brass fuel fitting with an oil breather. And the base is three boards I put together in a "U" shape, not the best carpenter.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (27.73 KB)
3628_5173132731b0c.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (30.98 KB)
3628_51731331e57d3.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (19.43 KB)
3628_5173133d875f5.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (20.43 KB)
3628_51731346c82b2.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (27.96 KB)
3628_5173134f636cc.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (19.07 KB)
3628_517313582fc24.jpg 600X450 px

jpg  (33.91 KB)
3628_5173136133836.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2013/4/20 17:15
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
The photos are great, I can get started as soon as the fuel cell arrives.

Thanks

Willis

Posted on: 2013/4/20 18:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Too bad there is no current news on the rumored new replacement tanks for 51-6 one of the vendors was thinking about having done. Doing this replacement now means for sure they will be announced a week or two after you finish all the work to get the cell installed.

Posted on: 2013/4/20 19:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved