Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: Tire Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I read that the shorter and more limited life of new tires is due to the materials of which they are made. The new compounds are designed so that the tire will decay into nothing over a short period of time. This is probably to eliminate the large number of tires that end up in dumps and are a problem when (1) rain collects in them, which breeds mosquitoes, and (2) when they catch fire, which is almost impossible to extinguish, before they can be recycled.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/3/27 21:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
From post #50, previous page:

"For example, 1600 lbs at 40 psi, 1300 lbs at 35 psi, 1000 lbs at 30 psi."

ok. If the tire is designed for 40 psi at 1600 pounds then that means the tire is designed for 40 psi maximum regardless of the weight load. That means do not exceed the weight load nor the psi. It does NOT mean that 40 psi can not be used at lower weight loads too. Maybe not recommended but it is only recommendation not requirement. The requirement is not to exceed the upper bound of psi NOR weight load.

Therefore the highest psi stated can be used regardless of weight provided the highest weight load is not exceeded.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 7:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I believe I said that. The main result of increasing the pressure above the level for a given axle loading is a harsher ride and more suspension wear.

When they were doing the Godfather they needed to spin Sonny's 40 Buick Limited around on the 59th Bridge. What they did to make the scene was chain down the rear axle, put on a set of bald tires, and inflate them to 40-50 psi. Then they hosed down the surfaces so the car would spin easy at low speeds. If you look carefully the car isn't going very fast when it spins.

I've been on the road and seen cars suddenly start to hydroplane in a heavy rain so you are not going to find me inflating tires above the pressure required for the axle loading.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 8:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved